This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos HW Appliance tech specs detailed

I've decided to post HW details of the different boxes that pass through my company as not a lot of people have the chance to see them(and it's interesting!) as official detailed tech specs are not present in Sophos website or the PDFs of each product (some details are VERY vague which i don't like at all).
I'll try not to repeat the same publicly available info, only basic description

It might also help you guys decide what to buy/sell your clients.
I will update this first post and leave a couple of placeholders below for limits, feel free to contribute trying to follow the same template i used to keep things clean [;)]

[SIZE="6"]Current models:[/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]Sophos SG125 rev 1[/SIZE]
General description: 8 GbE fixed copper ports, no lcd display, external 12VDC 3.33A FSP power brick w/barrel jack that has a threaded-sleeve, VGA, 2 USB ports and RJ45 serial console, it's not full 19" wide and the threads for the rackmount kit are in the bottom(contrary to other 1U 19" wide which only require a couple of small L-shaped ears bolted to the side, this one needs a "semi tray" style mount).

HW details:
CPU: Intel Atom C2358 SoC (Rangeley, Silvermont core, communication processor series, 7W) 2c, 1.74Ghz/2GHz turbo
RAM: 4GB 1600MHz-DDR3 in 1 DIMM, 2 DIMM slots (easy to add/replace ram)
HDD: 320GB HGST HTE725032A7E630  (Travelstar Z7K500 2.5", 7.2k/32MB cache, AF, 1 platter, 24x7 certified model) mounted in rubber stands
NICs: 4 Intel NICs integrated in the SoC, 4 Intel i211 off a bridge/switch chip(i don't know why they don't put them in the extra 8 pcie lanes the SoC has directly reducing a component)

Notes:
By using the Rangeley SoC that implements everything in a single chip they lowered the BOM substantially(and the amount of components, 4 nics integrated for example) and it's also very low power -could be passively cooled-, the SG105/115 uses probably a C2308 which is the smallest version of the C2000 series with 4GbE thus being a true single-chip solution
the unit has a very small cooling fan on the side for the SoC.
There's also a thermocouple below the HDD, it's too bad that even now we don't have RT HW information on the status page or a dedicated HW status tab for appliances(temps, fan speeds, smart status for disks).
Motherboard is common to the w version as well, it has all the silkscreen and the vacant pads for the minipcie slot that has the wifi card in the W versión.
Another thing of note is that the SoC has an encryption accelerator, i can't find any info on the bootlog about it being detected or used(it would give a nice boost to anything VPN and specially the https scanner), i should open a support ticket to confirm that

[SIZE="5"]Sophos SG210 rev 1[/SIZE]
General description: 6 GbE fixed copper ports and a flexport module slot, 2 line LCD display +keypad, internal 80-plus bronze FSP autosensing ATX PSU with C13 socket and power switch, VGA, 2 USB 3.0 ports +1 usb2.0 in back, RJ45 serial console, 1U 19" wide(iirc it included RM kit).

HW details:
CPU: Intel Celeron G1820 (Haswell, 53W) 2c, 2.70GHz
RAM: 8GB 1600MHz-DDR3 in 1 DIMM, 2 DIMM slots (easy to add/replace ram)
HDD: 320GB HGST HTE725032A7E630  (Travelstar Z7K500 2.5", 7.2k/32MB cache, AF, 1 platter, 24x7 certified model) mounted in rubber stands
NICs: 6 Intel i210 NICs, no idea if they come from a pcie switch or where they connect to, seems likely southbridge plus pcie bridge(why they use the SB lanes instead of the CPU lanes is beyond me), no idea where the 4x lanes for the flexport come from, maybe the same switch but that would create a bottleneck

Notes: 
Very good advance using state of the art haswell compared to the UTM220 r5 with obsolete HW from day 0, ample ram with kudos for using only 1 dimm
The unit has 4 fans(with tach output), 1 for the PSU, they don't vary speed(somewhat noisy, nowhere near UTM220 levels), again no HW monitoring at all.
Using standard HW makes this a very easily reparable unit, it means that in a pinch(blown psu for example) you can put a standard ATX power supply whilst waiting for the replacement parts/unit(if you don't have to RMA first that is... [:D]).
Why does this unit has 500GB HDD whilst the lower model SG125 has 500 is beyond me

Random observations in general:
It seems that all new appliances use the same Travelstar HDD, a point of note is that is they are "Enhanced Availability" certified for 24x7 operation, nice attention to detail that they're also mounted with rubber antivibration mounts/screws.
Again, it's baffling how there's no type of HW monitoring of their own brand-name appliances, it could be another good differentiator.

editlist:
v1: sg125 rev1 13/1/2015
v2: added SG210 r1 13/1/2015

This thread was automatically locked due to age.