This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[Solved]Install.tar wasn't found issue

Thought I could share how I solved this problem. I downloaded v9.2 ISO and burned it on a CD. During installation (Formatting Step 2/6, 75% formatting log partition) and error occurred. The message was "install.tar wasn't found on the installation media". Quick check with Google revealed that this is due to time out during mounting of sr0 (think that is my DVD drive).

So, I tried the alt+F2 (or F4) and mount/dev/sr0 /install fix but that did not solve my problem. Since I have another DVD drive laying around, I swapped it and tried to install it again. Presto, this time it worked. I think my first DVD drive somehow took too long to respond (time out) and my second drive is newer.

So when all else fails, try swapping another DVD drive [:P]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello,

I will preface this whole thing by saying I am new to Linux but a PC veteran of many years. I played some with UNIX way back in the 90's when I was net engineering as part of my job.

Anyway, I have not tried this yet because I am using USB stick for installation and I got the same error. I do have a DVD in the system though. I find it hard to believe that it is timing out on mounting the USB. While installing, it seems that formatting the partition stalls at 50% and again at 75% however it does continue eventually. I did not witness the actual failure point as it was late so I thought I would let it go on installing without me and I would find a fresh new installation in the morning. 

Has anyone else had this type of fail from USB install?

Thanks!

• Hello,

I will preface this whole thing by saying I am new to Linux but a PC veteran of many years. I played some with UNIX way back in the 90's when I was net engineering as part of my job.

Anyway, I have not tried this yet because I am using USB stick for installation and I got the same error. I do have a DVD in the system though. I find it hard to believe that it is timing out on mounting the USB. While installing, it seems that formatting the partition stalls at 50% and again at 75% however it does continue eventually. I did not witness the actual failure point as it was late so I thought I would let it go on installing without me and I would find a fresh new installation in the morning. 

Has anyone else had this type of fail from USB install?

Thanks!

Children
No Data