This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM220 CPU upgrade

Hi All,

I noticed the UTM 220 rev. 5 is running an LGA775 socket CPU. (Celeron E1500 2.2GHz Dual Core).

Does anyone have experience that they can manually swap (ie upgrade) the CPU? At the end of the day its just a 1u rack mount server. Unless they are embedded chips, I don't see why not...

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I know I am bringing this back from the dead, but the question was never answered. After searching google through several threads, I found that there just isn't much information on these units. I just purchased a Sophos UTM 220 rev5 myself and was curious. As stated, the machine comes with a 775 Celeron E1500 2.2GHz Conroe CPU. I also purchased a Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4GHz CPU as well as a Core 2 Duo SLA94 E4600 2.4GHz. Both of these CPUs are from the Conroe family, though that does not necessarily mean that they will work with this unit. The BIOS must be able to support them. But for $4 ea I was willing to take that chance.

As of now, I have not tested the P4 E2220 CPU but have tested the C2D E4600. BIOS boots and loads to the UTM 9.4 that was previously installed on the system when I got it. Right now I am going to test both the UTM 9.5 SSI and ASG installers on this to see if they work. I may also try installing the XG version as well.

In conclusion, to answer your question, YES it IS possible to upgrade the CPUs in the Sophos UTM 220 rev 5 units. Later on, I will also test different versions of the Core 2 Duo and see if the system can handle anything other than an 800MHz FSB CPU. 

"I like to learn things the hard way" ~pflicht

IT for a hospital in Kansas

• Interesting - thanks!  Welcome to the UTM Community!

Since the 220 and 320 will be end-of-life on 6/30/2018, this will be interesting to people that want to make the unit into a home machine.  It also is possible to upgrade a personal 220 to 4GB.  Opening a UTM still in use with a paid license causes loss of warranty, so neither of these upgrades is practical for a UTM in a business.

The trick to installing a home-use license on a UTM appliance is to change the name of the /etc/asg file, like: mv /etc/asg /etc/asg.bak

However, if there's no /etc/asg file or the 220 has 4GB, an appliance ISO cannot be loaded.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thank you for the welcome. I plan on creating a thread soon with the upgrade options. I did find out, as you stated, the appliance must be bone stock in order to install the SSI UTM. Also, I don't know if it a limitation of the stock CPU, but I was able to put in 8GB RAM and the system recognizes all of it with the Core 2 Duo installed, so the 4GB limitation is NOW GONE. This could further prolong the use of these systems.

Like I stated, I plan on making a separate thread with all of the upgrade options available for these. :)

• Thank you for the welcome. I plan on creating a thread soon with the upgrade options. I did find out, as you stated, the appliance must be bone stock in order to install the SSI UTM. Also, I don't know if it a limitation of the stock CPU, but I was able to put in 8GB RAM and the system recognizes all of it with the Core 2 Duo installed, so the 4GB limitation is NOW GONE. This could further prolong the use of these systems.

Like I stated, I plan on making a separate thread with all of the upgrade options available for these. :)

Children