This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM220 CPU upgrade

Hi All,

I noticed the UTM 220 rev. 5 is running an LGA775 socket CPU. (Celeron E1500 2.2GHz Dual Core).

Does anyone have experience that they can manually swap (ie upgrade) the CPU? At the end of the day its just a 1u rack mount server. Unless they are embedded chips, I don't see why not...

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Morning,

Most of the UTM products are certainly upgradeable to some extent. There are threads sprinkled all over of people upgrading RAM, drives, etc on the units.

One big caveat though, if you have an active maintenance contract with Sophos any modifications to the hardware without the okay from Sophos support will void your warranty.
  • Drew, they won't OK anything.  Several years ago, when they sold memory upgrades, support worldwide got deluged with machines that had been damaged by end users, and, having allowed end-user upgrades, they were stuck with replacing the units under warranty.  They are "once burned, twice warned" - you can be sure!

In any case, since the ISO for the appliances only contains the drivers needed for devices in the appliances, I would be very circumspect about changing anything.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi, CPUs don't need drivers, but it's possible that the installer tests the CPU ID to see if it matches a known list.
    They DO check the RAM, so they may check the CPU ID as well.

That said, you could always use the Software UTM installer, but you'd need a different license for it than the hardware appliance license.

Also, the BIOS would have to support the newer CPUs.

Barry
  • Hi Bob,

I wouldn't say never. I have an email from Astaro support authorizing me to replace a fan component in my ASG 120v3 with an equivalent part sourced locally. I was told by the rep however to keep a copy of the email and include it in the packaging if I ever had to return the unit for warranty work.

For RAM & CPU I'd agree they won't. Tho even that I seem to recall hearing in a thread once that support did authorize increasing the RAM of a unit. It sounded like an exceptional situation on a higher end unit (525/625) so I wouldn't call it routine by any stretch.
  • I think I remember hearing that same 625 story a coupla years ago.

Your story confirms that you have a solid relationship with people at Astaro - no surprize!

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • It will void the warranty.   I recently asked about putting in 4GB into the UTM 220 since it has the same amount of memory as the 120.

Main reason I asked is I put the 220 in about a week ago and it sits at about 70% although I don't necessarily trust that because I've seen it sit at 70% when the place is closed.

Looking at the sizing guide the customer isn't actually using FullGuard, but the subscription was bought because it was cheaper than by individual.  So all they are using is Wireless/Network/Web Filter.  I'd say at any given time there would be about 30 users connecting to the Internet.  Even when they give all the students iPads, not all of them will be on at once and it's only about 150-200 students, but maybe 20% would be on during class time and the rest are on the clinic floor working.

I'm hesistant on installing 3 more 220's and almost looking at just buying a entry level server from Lenovo (TS130) with a Xeon Quad Core and 4 GB of RAM.  That and an additional 2 port NIC with Same Day Warranty is under $1000.
  • It's early in V9.  I recommend that current users stay on V8.3.  Once some of the bugs get squashed, 2GB will be fine for everyone with a 220 on V8 to move to V9.

The subscriptions for a 220 are about the same as those for a 100-IP software version.  It depends on the customer's needs whether an appliance- or software-version is a better value.  Rather than Same Day Warranty, I recommend two units in Hot-Standby.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • For what the cost of a Premium Support it's a fraction compared to buying another unit.  Personally I think if you buy FullGuard, the Premium should be included.

When looking at the price list it is a bit confusing.  I had a co-worker quote out some UTM's and he didn't realize the Premium wasn't included with FullGuard.
  • It's early in V9.  I recommend that current users stay on V8.3.  Once some of the bugs get squashed, 2GB will be fine for everyone with a 220 on V8 to move to V9.

The subscriptions for a 220 are about the same as those for a 100-IP software version.  It depends on the customer's needs whether an appliance- or software-version is a better value.  Rather than Same Day Warranty, I recommend two units in Hot-Standby.

Cheers - Bob

In a light load yes...you get more than 10 users using 2 or more modules all the bug fixes aren't going to make 3-4 gigs of code fit into 2 gigs of ram

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Well, we agree to disagree, William.  I have enough customers running 220s with Full Guard and 50-to-100 users that I'm not going to be dissuaded.

Breakingcustom, in fact, all Premium Support buys the client is the ability to contact Sophos Support directly.  Even on Standard, my customers get next-day replacements of UTM appliances.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA