This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

License expiration - what happens

I have read multiple threads about license expiration and googled on the fact what would happen when a license expires, but I cannot find a clear answer.

One of our customers is using an ASG220 with Full Guard bundle. The subcriptions / license is due to expire in two weeks. They are about to order a license renewal, but you never know how long it takes for the reseller to get a new license.

So I am looking for an answer to the question: What will happen if all subscriptions expires?

Does the ASG 220 still work with the current configuration, but it cannot download any new updates from Up2Date or does the box completely stop?!?!

I hope that somebody can give me a clear answer.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi, and welcome to the User BB!

The "Essential Firewall" will continue to run, but Site-to-Site VPNs, Mail Security, Web Security, etc. all willl cease until the license is renewed.  Up2Dates and Patter Updates also stop.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • all services will cease to function...
    isnt that a little strict...

i would understand if web, mail security etc all stop but Site-to-Site VPN's too?

Isn't stopping Site-to-Site VPN will cause the end-user business operations to be disrupted?

True we would have given end user plenty of notice about their expiring license but I am sure we have met end user who literally drag their feet about renewal even way past their subscription expiry date...

Any inputs on this Bob ?

Thanks.
  • Do not these same businesses sell products or services that they expect to be compensated for on time?  They also somehow manage to make their payroll on time and pay for other services that they use, such as utilities.

The license expiration date isn't hidden in any way.  A customer only needs to look in WebAdmin at Management>>Licensing to see when the expiration dates are.  The licenses are sold in time allotments of 1, 3, or 5 years.  Plenty of advance notice to plan for.

Those concepts being said, if a customer has dragged their feet and is ordering a renewal at the last minute, resellers have the capability to issue a short term temporary license to hold over customers until the permanent license is delivered.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • Do not these same businesses sell products or services that they expect to be compensated for on time?  They also somehow manage to make their payroll on time and pay for other services that they use, such as utilities.

The license expiration date isn't hidden in any way.  A customer only needs to look in WebAdmin at Management>>Licensing to see when the expiration dates are.  The licenses are sold in time allotments of 1, 3, or 5 years.  Plenty of advance notice to plan for.

Those concepts being said, if a customer has dragged their feet and is ordering a renewal at the last minute, resellers have the capability to issue a short term temporary license to hold over customers until the permanent license is delivered.

yes i do agree with your point about the customers being able to issue their payroll on time and more...

but coming from this part of the world (south east asia region, specifically malaysia), business always pay their employees on time but drag their feet when it comes to expenditure such as firewall or clearing payment to vendors/suppliers.

ok noted on that reseller issuing temp license.

thanks alot.
  • Scott, your licensing info is a bit out of date.  It's no longer possible for a reseller to issue a temporary license when a license expires.  We will advance up to two one-month extensions without receiving payment, but will not go beyond that.  Of the clients for whom we've done that, only one still owes us for the one-month extensions several months later.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I know this is an old thread, and sorry for bringing it up again, but when the license expires are you still able to log into the appliance? I've no issue with the services stopping when the license expire (although dropping VPN's is questionable give any other hardware device that uses VPN's doesn't need to be renewed to keep them up - but I accept that's the way this one works.)

• You can still login to WebAdmin, but you are left with only the services that are a part of the free Essential Firewall license.  You are correct that that does not included site-to-site VPNs.  It does include PPTP and L2TP/IPsec remote access.

EDIT 2017-04-13: Please see my revised answer below.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Cheers Bob, that clarified things. Ultimately, I think the UTM should act like a normal firewall if the license has run out eg firewall rules, interfaces, vpn's whereas I understand anything that requires frequent updates would probably stop eg AV, IDS etc

• In my opinion it ACTs as a firewall without a license, no more and no less.

Site2Site VPN is not necessarily default job of a firewall.

Gruß / Regards,

Kevin
    Sophos CE/CA (XG+UTM), Gold Partner

• I agree with you, and companies should be used to pay for subscriptions today for other licenses. Still I have been involved in supporting hundreds of small companies 1-5 employees that usually don't have any IT budget and all IT cost is considered an evil unessecary expence disrupting their business.

Perhaps they have a backup software sending offsite copoy to a NAS via VPN to the home office of the owner or to a branch office. In a lot of these cases I would sell another Firewall, will not mention brand, and sometimes buy no support or extra licensing. The firewall can still be used for IPsec site to site. 

I like Sophos products very much but i don't like the fact that it does not function wih IPsec after license expire. Perhaps Sophos are not interested in these customers anyway as their not repeat business, but I can't get all my collegues onboard for selling Sophos partly beacause of this. So we usually sell the other brand. We have probably sold 500 appliances the last years of the other brand, and only aprox 10 Sophos. 

In many cases a Sophos RED would do the trick but they are sized wrong for my Norwegian customers. Basically all companies and homes have 100 Mbit or more internet speed today. and that means they have to go for a RED50 that ends up being to expensive for the home office of for example a hair dresser or a small shop.

Stig
    IT consultant, Norway