This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

USB Stick Install Solved

I have been reading the forums here for awhile, and decided to figure it out.

Steps:
[LIST=1]

• Download and install 'Universal USB Installer' - Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
  • Download Astaro ASG v8 iso - ftp://ftp.astaro.de/Astaro_Security_Gateway/v8/software_appliance/iso/
  •  Open the Universal USB Installer,  for Step 1: Select the last option, 'Try Unlisted Linux ISO (New Syslinux)'
  •  For Step 2: Select the Astaro ISO
  •  For Step 3: Select your USB Key. I used a 512MB U3 Kingston
  •  Click 'Create', Eject the USB Key and Boot your soon-to-be Astaro Box
  •  Press  to Start the Installer 
  •  On the First Screen, hit Alt-F2.
  •  Follow this sequence:
    [LIST=1]
  •  bash-3.2# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
  •  bash-3.2# cd /install
  •  bash-3.2# mkdir install
  •  bash-3.2# cd install
  •  bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .
  •  Hit Alt-F1

[/LIST]

•  Finish the Installation, Reboot and Enjoy.

[/LIST]

Please post questions, experiences etc. This has worked for me, but it's my first experience with Astaro, so I thought I'd share in hopes others can benefit.

Cheers,
-fred

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I have just repeated this.  I have no Unix knowledge but it went OK.

I used Rufus and it worked without issue. No renaming or anything.

I booted from the USB key (I needed to change the device boot order in the BIOS) and started the install.

Once the hardware was identified and the disk format began I switched to the console by pressing ALT + F2

Then I remounted the installation media by typing mount /dev/sdb1 /install

After the mount successful message I pressed ALT + F1 to return to the install and waited for it to complete ( remove installation media and reboot message displayed)

None of the above is new.  All credit goes to those who have gone before in this post, but hopefully it corrects a couple of typos (unix experts would just know it was wrong - those like me do not!)  It also confirms it works with 9.306 which is the version available for download in Feb 2015
  • I have just repeated this.  I have no Unix knowledge but it went OK.

I used Rufus and it worked without issue. No renaming or anything.

I booted from the USB key (I needed to change the device boot order in the BIOS) and started the install.

Once the hardware was identified and the disk format began I switched to the console by pressing ALT + F2

After the mount successful message I pressed ALT + F1 to return to the install and waited for it to complete ( remove installation media and reboot message displayed)

None of the above is new.  All credit goes to those who have gone before in this post, but hopefully it corrects a couple of typos (unix experts would just know it was wrong - those like me do not!)  It also confirms it works with 9.306 which is the version available for download in Feb 2015
Children
  • Thanks everyone! 

After some hours trying diffrent methods I found this thread.

To check what sdb number the installation media is just flick to Alt-F4 View Log at the first screen. You can see it there.

I used asg-9.502-4.1.iso on a Dell Optiplex 790 with Intel i350 T2.

Had problems with the file names, as other people, until I switched to Rufus.

Did the mount /dev/sdb1 /install after the hardware check as suggested and it worked fine after that.

• It's work for me in SG115w. Good job! ;-)

• still an issue, i'm afraid.  thanks for the help.

fwiw, another way to get the list of drives from the shell is w/ 

blkid

that will list all your found partitions and you should be able to tell which is which.

a bit suprising this is still an issue 6 years on... 

• Hey,
    I had a problem with mounting, but I tried a solution where USB is mounted to the upper port and the keyboard to the bottom.
    Probably all you do well, only sdb1 that you want to mount is just the port on top.

mount /dev/sdb1 /install (when bootable USB stick is mounted to the upper port)

Please, try this solution.
  • Hi, 

I was able to use the work around in the thread to get it working.  The primary purpose of my post was to note that you can you 'blkid' to help identify the name of your install partition that needs to be mounted.  

Thanks

ej

• I can confirm this is still an issue in v9.503-4.1. A friend of mine setting up his home firewall ran into this issue.

Just thought I'd make a suggestion to those who frequently install from USB. Here are two products that emulate USB optical drives. Then both mount .ISOs from internal storage and present them to the OS a optical media loaded into the emulated drives. As they emulate optical drives they are OS independent, with no software needed on the system you are booting. They are of course useful beyond installing UTM, and are a very handy tool for anyone who works on computers.

isostick   http://isostick.com

This is the first piece of kit I purchased that emulates optical drives, and have used it since 2012. It has a microSD slot onto which you store .ISOs. At boot it loads a small program that lets you choose which ISO to load. Unfortunately it's USB 2.0, but I still use it when I come across USB 2.0 hardware that doesn't play nice with USB 3.0, which the next solution offers.

Zalman ZM-VE350    http://www.zalman.com/na/contents/products/view.html?no=20

This is a bus-powered 2.5" USB 3.0 drive to SATA III enclosure that can emulate an optical drive. It has three modes: optical only, hard drive only, and simultaneous optical and hard drive. The enclosure has an LCD display that displays the mode of the enclosure, if the hard drive is write protected. The display is also used in conjunction with a small rocker/jog switch to interact with the enclosure: Set mode, select ISO to mount, and a couple of others. While I haven't used this specific device, I use it's predecessor, the ZM-VE300, which is SATA II. I put an SSD I had laying around into it, and it is very fast. The only issue I've had with it is with a couple of USB 2.0 systems that didn't seem to like it, which I attributed to it being USB 3.0. In such cases I fall back to the isostick above.

I hope you guys find these interesting/useful.

• After about 2 hours of trial and error, this part did it for me:

Now I am a noob with no linux exposure and was having an issue with this command mount /dev/sdb1 /install

And the reason was that I was not putting the space before the /install and was getting an error message it could not find the directory. [face palm]

So the way I did it was after the last step to format the drive and start the install. As soon as I hit <Yes>, I switch to the console by pressing ALT+F2

then run the below command really fast

•  bash-3.2# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
    •  bash-3.2# cd /install
    •  bash-3.2# mkdir install
    •  bash-3.2# cd install
    •  bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .

***NOTE THAT THE LAST COMMAND HAS A SPACE AND A PERIOD IN IT AT THE END***  (that was the main reason I spent 2 hours figuring this out)

I don't think it matters how the usb was created, as long as you are able to get to the install page. I used Yumi which is a multiboot usb installer.

• Thanks for sharing this. Two comments based on my experiance. 1: The USB doesn’t always mount to sdb1. It’s described elseware in this thread how to check which one to use. 2: Some USB installers have a limitation on the lenght of the path and will fail because of this. Good to hear that Yumi works.