This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

USB Stick Install Solved

I have been reading the forums here for awhile, and decided to figure it out.

Steps:
[LIST=1]

• Download and install 'Universal USB Installer' - Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
  • Download Astaro ASG v8 iso - ftp://ftp.astaro.de/Astaro_Security_Gateway/v8/software_appliance/iso/
  •  Open the Universal USB Installer,  for Step 1: Select the last option, 'Try Unlisted Linux ISO (New Syslinux)'
  •  For Step 2: Select the Astaro ISO
  •  For Step 3: Select your USB Key. I used a 512MB U3 Kingston
  •  Click 'Create', Eject the USB Key and Boot your soon-to-be Astaro Box
  •  Press  to Start the Installer 
  •  On the First Screen, hit Alt-F2.
  •  Follow this sequence:
    [LIST=1]
  •  bash-3.2# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
  •  bash-3.2# cd /install
  •  bash-3.2# mkdir install
  •  bash-3.2# cd install
  •  bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .
  •  Hit Alt-F1

[/LIST]

•  Finish the Installation, Reboot and Enjoy.

[/LIST]

Please post questions, experiences etc. This has worked for me, but it's my first experience with Astaro, so I thought I'd share in hopes others can benefit.

Cheers,
-fred

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I followed the instructions of this thread and got it working.

when hit ALT-F2 under UTM you need to hit enter to see the prompt.
    invested much time in this one!!
    Then bevor you mount you can use fdisk -l to see wich device to mount.
    For me it was /dev/sdb1.

2 add's 
    First if you download the smartinstaller exe and unzip it with 7zip.
    you find a newer iso than the one you can directly download.
    I used V2 for my test and saved time upgrading the new install!!
    [:@] but sure not supported.

Would like to use the Ultimate boot stick.
    http://bootsticks.de.to/

Like this I could save all on one USB stick.

Using the following to start the ISO.

title Sophos UTM 9 Software 9.003-16.1 ISO install
    find --set-root /asg-9.003-16.1.iso
    map /asg-9.003-16.1.iso (hd32)
    map --hook
    chainloader (hd32)

Get also the install.tar not found.
    but mounting /dev/sdb1 /mnt is mounting the USB stick not the ISO.
    and when I try to mount -o loop the ISO I get an error.
    Workaround could be to extract the install directory directly to the usb stick.

Agree Sophos should support usb boot!
    And not only smartinstaller Astaro Sticks.
  • Instructions for creating a usb boot stick for Sophos (Astaro) UTM software version 9.04-33.1 or later

Thanks to the previous posters who did countless hours of work to get all of us to this point. I am not trying to take any credit for their prior efforts.
    Thank You!
     Xplane, Advoc8tr, Sambo, BarryG, Johnnt, RufusToofus, and Eschmidlin. If I forgot anyone I am sorry it was not intentional

But here is a summary of the previous posts and what I found worked for me on my Dual core atom D2500 fanless mini PC 2GB Ram, 64GB solid state hard drive, I setup in my home. I did end up modifying the last procedure posted by
    Eschmidlin I did as he postulated and copied the install directory into the root as well. I also modified the boot instructions.

I was able to use the 64 bit install and all functions that I tested including the graphics on the monitor I was using and via the web interface did work fine. The motherboard manufactorer (Intel) encouraged a 32 bit installation
    With the 64 bit install there was noticably less CPU load because I also initially did a 32 bit install
    I did note that the network adapter on the Intel motherboard does not report its condition properly in webadmin but it works fine nonetheless. 
    This was true on either the 32 bit or 64 bit installation
    Also recovering a prior backup during boot worked fine for me after the initiaL INSTALL

First I created the Boot usb Stick using Unetbootin

downloaded the software at

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

then checked the box for a custom install using an iso image and browsed to the iso.

after it was completed

I fixed the file naming error on the one one rpm that is missing the last 2 letters of its file extension.

as Barry said you should 

"Check your RPM folder on the USB stick under /install/rpm. See if the file perl-Package-DeprecationManager-0.11-1.359.g9a593fa.rb2.noarch.rpm has the correct file extension. Mine had been truncated to ".r" instead of ".rpm".
    also check in the ubnfilel.txt in the root directory"

After it was done I ALSO copied the contents of the install directory into the root directory of the USB stick including the rpm sub directory. I left the originals where they were as well

to do all this you will probably need a 1 gig minimum usb stick. Mine was a 4GB toshiba 

Set the bios on the motherboard to boot first from the USB before looking to the hard drive.

After booting I selected the default boot option or you can wait and let it procedd on its own.

Press  to Start the Installer

1. On the First Screen, hit Alt-F2.

Then before you mount you can use this command: 

fdisk -l       (don't type this part this command is to see which device to mount  the l is a lower case L)

might be a different device based on fdisk -l Could be sdb2 for example in step 2 below.

2. bash-3.2# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
     3. bash-3.2# cd /install
     4. bash-3.2# mkdir install
     5. bash-3.2# cd install
     6. bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .
     7. bash-3.2# cd /
     8. bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/* .
     9. bash-3.2# cd /
     10. Hit Alt-F1

11. Finish the Installation, Reboot.

Please note*****

bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* . (the end part is asterix space period) !! must wait for bash-3.2# prompt after entering this command, it took few minutes on my system for the copying to complete.

If you hit F1 and continue the install without waiting you get more "cant find this or that errors"

If you get also the install.tar not found. try it a time or two before abandoning hope.

Hope this works for you!
  • Instructions for creating a usb boot stick for Sophos (Astaro) UTM software version 9.04-33.1 or later

Thanks to the previous posters who did countless hours of work to get all of us to this point. I am not trying to take any credit for their prior efforts.
    Thank You!
     Xplane, Advoc8tr, Sambo, BarryG, Johnnt, RufusToofus, and Eschmidlin. If I forgot anyone I am sorry it was not intentional

But here is a summary of the previous posts and what I found worked for me on my Dual core atom D2500 fanless mini PC 2GB Ram, 64GB solid state hard drive, I setup in my home. I did end up modifying the last procedure posted by
    Eschmidlin I did as he postulated and copied the install directory into the root as well. I also modified the boot instructions.

I was able to use the 64 bit install and all functions that I tested including the graphics on the monitor I was using and via the web interface did work fine. The motherboard manufactorer (Intel) encouraged a 32 bit installation
    With the 64 bit install there was noticably less CPU load because I also initially did a 32 bit install
    I did note that the network adapter on the Intel motherboard does not report its condition properly in webadmin but it works fine nonetheless. 
    This was true on either the 32 bit or 64 bit installation
    Also recovering a prior backup during boot worked fine for me after the initiaL INSTALL

First I created the Boot usb Stick using Unetbootin

downloaded the software at

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

then checked the box for a custom install using an iso image and browsed to the iso.

after it was completed

I fixed the file naming error on the one one rpm that is missing the last 2 letters of its file extension.

as Barry said you should 

"Check your RPM folder on the USB stick under /install/rpm. See if the file perl-Package-DeprecationManager-0.11-1.359.g9a593fa.rb2.noarch.rpm has the correct file extension. Mine had been truncated to ".r" instead of ".rpm".

After it was done I ALSO copied the contents of the install directory into the root directory of the USB stick including the rpm sub directory. I left the originals where they were as well

to do all this you will probably need a 1 gig minimum usb stick. Mine was a 4GB toshiba 

Set the bios on the motherboard to boot first from the USB before looking to the hard drive.

After booting I selected the default boot option or you can wait and let it procedd on its own.

Press  to Start the Installer

1. On the First Screen, hit Alt-F2.

Then before you mount you can use this command: 

fdisk -l       (don't type this part this command is to see which device to mount  the l is a lower case L)

might be a different device based on fdisk -l Could be sdb2 for example in step 2 below.

2. bash-3.2# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
     3. bash-3.2# cd /install
     4. bash-3.2# mkdir install
     5. bash-3.2# cd install
     6. bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .
     7. bash-3.2# cd /
     8. bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/* .
     9. bash-3.2# cd /
     10. Hit Alt-F1

11. Finish the Installation, Reboot.

Please note*****

bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* . (the end part is asterix space period) !! must wait for bash-3.2# prompt after entering this command, it took few minutes on my system for the copying to complete.

If you hit F1 and continue the install without waiting you get more "cant find this or that errors"

If you get also the install.tar not found. try it a time or two before abandoning hope.

Hope this works for you!
Children

• "Check your RPM folder on the USB stick under /install/rpm. See if the file perl-Package-DeprecationManager-0.11-1.359.g9a593fa.rb2.noarch.rpm has the correct file extension. Mine had been truncated to ".r" instead of ".rpm".

To make it easier, the above long-file has been shortened in UTM 9.1 to give you guys less to do manually. [;)] enjoy.
  • Works fine on my Intel D2700DC and Gigabyte D525TUD.
    Thanks.[:)]
  • Didnt work for me on a D2500CCE, but I found an easier way.
    I admit I didnt fully understand why copying to /install/install and / makes any sense, so I just mounted the stick to /install:

mount /dev/sbd1 /install

Quicker, easier, and, most importantly, working.
    At least for me. 

P.S.: just registered to post this, hopefully brighten someones day, and say "thanks for an awesome FW distro!"
  • Didnt work for me on a D2500CCE, but I found an easier way.
    I admit I didnt fully understand why copying to /install/install and / makes any sense, so I just mounted the stick to /install:

mount /dev/sbd1 /install

Quicker, easier, and, most importantly, working.
    At least for me. 

P.S.: just registered to post this, hopefully brighten someones day, and say "thanks for an awesome FW distro!"

Thanks for this! The other instructions caused the install to freeze upon going back to Alt-F1 for some reason, but yours worked fine.
  • ...I just mounted the stick to /install:

mount /dev/sbd1 /install

This isn't working for me with 9.006 on a Dell Optiplex 620; says 'install.tar wasn't found...'

The mount command worked, but now it's not mounted anymore... something unmounted it.

Barry