This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

USB Stick Install Solved

I have been reading the forums here for awhile, and decided to figure it out.

Steps:
[LIST=1]

• Download and install 'Universal USB Installer' - Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
  • Download Astaro ASG v8 iso - ftp://ftp.astaro.de/Astaro_Security_Gateway/v8/software_appliance/iso/
  •  Open the Universal USB Installer,  for Step 1: Select the last option, 'Try Unlisted Linux ISO (New Syslinux)'
  •  For Step 2: Select the Astaro ISO
  •  For Step 3: Select your USB Key. I used a 512MB U3 Kingston
  •  Click 'Create', Eject the USB Key and Boot your soon-to-be Astaro Box
  •  Press  to Start the Installer 
  •  On the First Screen, hit Alt-F2.
  •  Follow this sequence:
    [LIST=1]
  •  bash-3.2# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
  •  bash-3.2# cd /install
  •  bash-3.2# mkdir install
  •  bash-3.2# cd install
  •  bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .
  •  Hit Alt-F1

[/LIST]

•  Finish the Installation, Reboot and Enjoy.

[/LIST]

Please post questions, experiences etc. This has worked for me, but it's my first experience with Astaro, so I thought I'd share in hopes others can benefit.

Cheers,
-fred

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Just wanted to add some finer points to this solution.

I have been trying to install to Dell PE 2650 I picked up for $50 which had only a broken CD ROM drive.... and of course doesn't support native USB boot [:(]

Had endless dramas trying to solve the "install.tar not found" error.

I originally tried duplicating the install directory within the install directory in the ISO image before burning to USB ... this did not work for some reason?

Using the method described in this post ultimately worked with the following modifications.

My USB stick was sdb (only USB attached) use dmesg to identify you usb drive.

bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .  (the end part is asterix space period)  !! must wait for bash-3.2# prompt after entering this command, it took a good 3 minutes on my system for the copying to complete.

If you hit F1 and continue the install without waiting you get more "cant find this or that errors"

Excellent work on finding solution.  Thanks
  • Just wanted to add some finer points to this solution.

I have been trying to install to Dell PE 2650 I picked up for $50 which had only a broken CD ROM drive.... and of course doesn't support native USB boot [:(]

Had endless dramas trying to solve the "install.tar not found" error.

I originally tried duplicating the install directory within the install directory in the ISO image before burning to USB ... this did not work for some reason?

Using the method described in this post ultimately worked with the following modifications.

My USB stick was sdb (only USB attached) use dmesg to identify you usb drive.

bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .  (the end part is asterix space period)  !! must wait for bash-3.2# prompt after entering this command, it took a good 3 minutes on my system for the copying to complete.

If you hit F1 and continue the install without waiting you get more "cant find this or that errors"

Excellent work on finding solution.  Thanks
Children
No Data