This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

USB Stick Install Solved

I have been reading the forums here for awhile, and decided to figure it out.

Steps:
[LIST=1]

• Download and install 'Universal USB Installer' - Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
  • Download Astaro ASG v8 iso - ftp://ftp.astaro.de/Astaro_Security_Gateway/v8/software_appliance/iso/
  •  Open the Universal USB Installer,  for Step 1: Select the last option, 'Try Unlisted Linux ISO (New Syslinux)'
  •  For Step 2: Select the Astaro ISO
  •  For Step 3: Select your USB Key. I used a 512MB U3 Kingston
  •  Click 'Create', Eject the USB Key and Boot your soon-to-be Astaro Box
  •  Press  to Start the Installer 
  •  On the First Screen, hit Alt-F2.
  •  Follow this sequence:
    [LIST=1]
  •  bash-3.2# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
  •  bash-3.2# cd /install
  •  bash-3.2# mkdir install
  •  bash-3.2# cd install
  •  bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .
  •  Hit Alt-F1

[/LIST]

•  Finish the Installation, Reboot and Enjoy.

[/LIST]

Please post questions, experiences etc. This has worked for me, but it's my first experience with Astaro, so I thought I'd share in hopes others can benefit.

Cheers,
-fred

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello,

for all windows users I can confirm that this method doesn't work 1:1

To help all other users / admins / tech / nerds who try to install from USB the following will help:

1. DO NOT USE Universal USB Installer" it will scramble up filenames

2. USE Rufus https://rufus.ie/

3. Create Stick by hitting "SELECT" or in german "auswählen" in Rufus

4. After creating the freakin stick of hell put it into your hardware of choice. (for me it was a SG135Wrev1)

5. make shure to boot from stick in BIOS (hit DEL or ESC to enter BIOS on this appliance)

6. when "warning: blah blah blah" appears on screen. your on the right way. Press enter to boot the installer

7. you CAN NOT abort the freakin START Countdown. Just let it happen.

8. be prepared to switch to console by hitting ALT + F2 AFTER the Hardware-Detection displays "detecting Storage Hardware"

9. be quick and enter the following on bash:

bash1234# mount /dev/sdb1 /install

(if this doesn't work or an error is displayed, read the other comments in this post to get the right partition of your USB stick(while crying like a baby like i did)

10. Switch back to Installer with ALT + F1

11. wait for the installer to complete and reboot

So far at UTM 9.603-1.iso

Cheers Chris

, can you make the one sticky to the thread ? would have helped me to save like ~2 hours. Cheers 

thefred said:

Steps:
    [LIST=1]
    • Download and install 'Universal USB Installer' - Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
    • Download Astaro ASG v8 iso - ftp://ftp.astaro.de/Astaro_Security_Gateway/v8/software_appliance/iso/
    •  Open the Universal USB Installer,  for Step 1: Select the last option, 'Try Unlisted Linux ISO (New Syslinux)'
    •  Follow this sequence:
      [LIST=1]
    •  bash-3.2# cd /install
    •  bash-3.2# cd install
    •  Hit Alt-F1

[/LIST]

[/LIST]

Please post questions, experiences etc. This has worked for me, but it's my first experience with Astaro, so I thought I'd share in hopes others can benefit.

Cheers,
    -fred

• Hello,

for all windows users I can confirm that this method doesn't work 1:1

To help all other users / admins / tech / nerds who try to install from USB the following will help:

1. DO NOT USE Universal USB Installer" it will scramble up filenames

2. USE Rufus https://rufus.ie/

3. Create Stick by hitting "SELECT" or in german "auswählen" in Rufus

4. After creating the freakin stick of hell put it into your hardware of choice. (for me it was a SG135Wrev1)

5. make shure to boot from stick in BIOS (hit DEL or ESC to enter BIOS on this appliance)

6. when "warning: blah blah blah" appears on screen. your on the right way. Press enter to boot the installer

7. you CAN NOT abort the freakin START Countdown. Just let it happen.

8. be prepared to switch to console by hitting ALT + F2 AFTER the Hardware-Detection displays "detecting Storage Hardware"

9. be quick and enter the following on bash:

bash1234# mount /dev/sdb1 /install

(if this doesn't work or an error is displayed, read the other comments in this post to get the right partition of your USB stick(while crying like a baby like i did)

10. Switch back to Installer with ALT + F1

11. wait for the installer to complete and reboot

So far at UTM 9.603-1.iso

Cheers Chris

, can you make the one sticky to the thread ? would have helped me to save like ~2 hours. Cheers 

thefred said:

Steps:
    [LIST=1]
    •  Follow this sequence:
      [LIST=1]
    •  bash-3.2# cd /install
    •  bash-3.2# cd install
    •  Hit Alt-F1

[/LIST]

[/LIST]

Cheers,
    -fred

Children
No Data