This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

USB Stick Install Solved

I have been reading the forums here for awhile, and decided to figure it out.

Steps:
[LIST=1]

• Download and install 'Universal USB Installer' - Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
  • Download Astaro ASG v8 iso - ftp://ftp.astaro.de/Astaro_Security_Gateway/v8/software_appliance/iso/
  •  Open the Universal USB Installer,  for Step 1: Select the last option, 'Try Unlisted Linux ISO (New Syslinux)'
  •  For Step 2: Select the Astaro ISO
  •  For Step 3: Select your USB Key. I used a 512MB U3 Kingston
  •  Click 'Create', Eject the USB Key and Boot your soon-to-be Astaro Box
  •  Press  to Start the Installer 
  •  On the First Screen, hit Alt-F2.
  •  Follow this sequence:
    [LIST=1]
  •  bash-3.2# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
  •  bash-3.2# cd /install
  •  bash-3.2# mkdir install
  •  bash-3.2# cd install
  •  bash-3.2# cp -a /mnt/install/* .
  •  Hit Alt-F1

[/LIST]

•  Finish the Installation, Reboot and Enjoy.

[/LIST]

Please post questions, experiences etc. This has worked for me, but it's my first experience with Astaro, so I thought I'd share in hopes others can benefit.

Cheers,
-fred

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I thought I'd pitch in to the community to help

After many hours of trial and error I found the solution. 

Mount /dev/sdb1 to /install to install AFTER the hardware detection runs. The hardware detection is what is causing it to be unmounted. 

So once you get a report of the hardware installed get into the shell by running ALT+F2 than run the mount command and it should work from there.
  • pclov3r said:
    I thought I'd pitch in to the community to help

After many hours of trial and error I found the solution. 

Mount /dev/sdb1 to /install to install AFTER the hardware detection runs. The hardware detection is what is causing it to be unmounted. 

So once you get a report of the hardware installed get into the shell by running ALT+F2 than run the mount command and it should work from there.

Thank you so much to  pclov3r . After two hours I found your tip and you make my day.

• Well, 6 years after this thread was initially established and it's still going strong!  Why Sophos don't give us a 21st century solution to this issue I do not know.  Anyway...

I have just purchased an SG135 and I am attempting to install UTM 9.5 on it via a USB flash drive.  I have followed all recommendations in this thread, but I am still getting the 'install.tar' error.

Is there a new trick with later versions of UTM 9 which I need to be aware of?

One question I have however is assuming you get the install media booting and arrive at the install screen, does it matter which method you use to get there?

Also, could someone please provide me with an answer on which version of the ISO to use?  There seems to be only the Hardware/SSI and Software versions now.  Given that I have a fully stock Sophos hardware appliance I am assuming the SSI version is what I should be using?  I have not been able to find clear directions regarding this so far.

• Well, 6 years after this thread was initially established and it's still going strong!  Why Sophos don't give us a 21st century solution to this issue I do not know.  Anyway...

I have just purchased an SG135 and I am attempting to install UTM 9.5 on it via a USB flash drive.  I have followed all recommendations in this thread, but I am still getting the 'install.tar' error.

Is there a new trick with later versions of UTM 9 which I need to be aware of?

One question I have however is assuming you get the install media booting and arrive at the install screen, does it matter which method you use to get there?

Also, could someone please provide me with an answer on which version of the ISO to use?  There seems to be only the Hardware/SSI and Software versions now.  Given that I have a fully stock Sophos hardware appliance I am assuming the SSI version is what I should be using?  I have not been able to find clear directions regarding this so far.

Children