This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

*Unofficial* Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)

Update: There is no longer an official Sophos HCL for the UTM, but the XG HCL is 99% the same for UTM.

The OFFICIAL Sophos / Astaro UTM HCL is currently at http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/118185.aspx
As it does not contain all possible hardware, I've created this thread...

Please don't post questions like "will X work?" here. Open a new thread if you have a question about buying hardware not already mentioned here.
Open a new thread if you have an installation or other question.

Update: This thread is for system configurations. If you'd like to mention a single component such as a NIC or RAID controller, please post in https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/27166

If you are having trouble with installation, please open a new thread unless you are sure that the hardware is incompatible, and if it is incompatible, be specific, e.g. "fails to detect disk", etc. Know how to use ALT-F3 etc. Ask questions in a new thread if you're not sure.

I propose that we post here with our tested system configurations, Astaro versions, and success or problems, using this template:

Template for copying/pasting:
Status: [Working|NOT Working], currently using at [Home|Work|Client]
Astaro Version(s) tested: 
System OR Motherboard: 
BIOS version: 
CPU:
RAM: 
Disk Controller 1: 
Disk Controller 2: 
Network Interfaces: 
VLAN support: (unknown|untested|no|working)
Video Controller: 
Hard Disk: (optional but please at least specify SATA/PATA/SCSI/SAS)
Optical Drive: (optional)
Case/Chassis: (optional)
Power Supply:  (optional)
What's not working: e.g. SATA doesn't work but IDE does
Total Power Consumption (in Watts, if known): [measured|estimated based upon...] please do not use the power supply rating
Total Cost: (optional, please specify currency, retail|used, and date)
Comments / Notes: (please include your Internet connection speed)

Note I used 'lscpi' to get the controllers information.
Note that one can EDIT their post later to add changes/corrections instead of posting a 'correction' post.

Also see IPS Throughput benchmarks at: https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/29110

Please don't post questions like "will X work?" here. Open a new thread if you have a question about buying hardware not already mentioned here.

Thanks!
Barry

updated
[edited by: FloSupport at 1:32 AM (GMT -7) on 8 Jun 2021]
Parents
    Astaro Version(s) tested: 6.00->7.501
    System OR Motherboard: ASUS P5Q WS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    BIOS version: 1605
    CPU: Intel 2.66GHz Quad Core LGA 775
    RAM: 4GB Geil GE22GB800C4DC
    Disk Controller 1: Onboard Intel ICH10
    Disk Controller 2: Promise SATA PCI 2 port controller
    Network Interfaces: 6 total, two onboard 4 on PCI-X
    Realtek 2 x 8111C Dual Gigabit LAN
    Intel Pro/1000 Quad Port PCI-X
    VLAN support: Should be OK, untested. Intel NIC supports VLAN
    Video Controller: nVidia card, passive heatsink
    Hard Disk: Western Digital 300GB 10K RPM VelociRaptor
    Optical Drive: None.  (Used USB one to install)
    Case/Chassis: (optional)
    Power Supply: 600W Coolermaster
    What's not working: Using Promise controller for SATA, onboard ICH10 not working.
    Total Power Consumption (in Watts, if known): Unknown
    Total Cost: Approx $1500AUD
    Comments / Notes:

Very stable.  Runs nicely, CPU usage graph barely shows any bumps with 70+ users with all features turned on with 8 VPNs running.
    Astaro Version(s) tested:  v8b
    System OR Motherboard: Gigabyte M61PME-S2P rev 1.0
    BIOS version:  f5
    CPU: AMD x2 5050e (45w)
    RAM: 2gb DDR2 match pair of 1gb (800) but only works at 667
    Disk Controller 1: NVidia GeForce 6100/nForce 430 chipset
    Disk Controller 2: IT8718 (floppy,  lpt, etc)
    Network Interfaces: on-board RTL 8201CLwas recognised during beta, but failed to connect PPPoE, now not recognised at all. 
      Intel 1000 Pro:  2 different version 84251PI and 82572EI
    VLAN support: 2 vlans (working)
    Video Controller:  NVIDIA GeForce 6100/ nForce 430
    Hard Disk: Western Digital AV 320gb (SATA)
    Optical Drive:  what ever is handy at build time (have changed config to use USB CD)
    Case/Chassis: Gigabyte “Chassis”
    Power Supply:  came with case, fan too noisy changed the fan for an Artic. Tried a Zalman 460 low noise power supply, base load does not appear to be sufficient to allow the PSU to function correctly, power went up to 47-55 and peaked a lot around the high 60s until I put the load on the IDE leads. 
      Not sure of power rating, very hard to find high efficiency, low power rated powersupplies or even fanless power supplies.
    What's not working: e.g. HPET, causes a panic and stop during installation. Gigabyte advise me to change OS because they can't replicate the problem on MS, so the problem doesn't exist.
    HPET is working after BIOS upgrade
    Total Power Consumption 44w idle, low use – 55w starts at 75w: [measured.] Power consumption with v8b is idle 36w
      Total Cost: about $500 AUD, retail, about Aug 09
    Comments / Notes: I think the CPU is the limiting factor on memory performance. Power consumption went up from high 30s to 44 when I changed from a 2.5” sata drive to the AV 3.5” and added the extra NIC. Even with 3 fans the system is very quiet, the Artic fans move a lot of air very quietly. The case fan is a PWM linked to the cpu fan. CPU occasionally peaks at 6-9% usually below 1%

Update 7th Dec 09.
    I removed one Intel NIC and configured the onboard NIC for PPPoE. Secret appears to be use the Intel NIC for configuration, don't use v7.501, go from 7.500 to 7.502. Power still around 44 but drops to 42. Next experiment, remove the Intel NIC and replace with a cooler version and drop the memory speed.
    Astaro Version(s) tested: 7.500b -7.505
    System OR Motherboard: Intel D945GCLF2
    BIOS version: LF94510J.86A
    CPU: Atom (x2) 330 with HT
    RAM:  2gb Corsair 800 only runs at 533 (BIOS recognises that the memory stick is Corsair 800)
    Disk Controller 1: ICH7
    Disk Controller 2: 
    Network Interfaces: On-board RTL8111/8168B, PCI Intel 82541PI
    VLAN support: (working)
    Video Controller: 945GC
    Hard Disk: Seagate Momentus 200gb 7200 2.5”, SATA
    Optical Drive: USB 
    Case/Chassis: Unknown - micro atx or mini itx
    Power Supply: unknown, came with case IP-AD120-2 (120w)
    What's not working:  
    Total Power Consumption (in Watts, if known):  42-55w measured 
    Total Cost: Approx $450 AUD, retail, 2009
    Comments / Notes: The onboard chipset fan is very noisy and prone to failure. Do NOT operate with the MB on its side, this causes the fan to fail even faster. I replaced the fan with a bigger (thicker), quieter, spins slower, but does not report speed to mb. The power supply gets quite hot and has a small high speed fan. The case has a fan which is low noise and is most definitely required to force air through the case.
      [FONT=&quot]To me this box appears to be slower than the AMD x2 5050e running about the same power consumption[/FONT]. CPU runs at about 3% peaking to about 20%.

Ian M[:)]
    Astaro Version(s) tested: 7.500b -7.505
    System OR Motherboard: Intel D945GCLF2
    BIOS version: LF94510J.86A
    CPU: Atom (x2) 330 with HT
    RAM:  2gb Corsair 800 only runs at 533 (BIOS recognises that the memory stick is Corsair 800)
    Disk Controller 1: ICH7
    Disk Controller 2: 
    Network Interfaces: On-board RTL8111/8168B, PCI Intel 82541PI
    VLAN support: (working)
    Video Controller: 945GC
    Hard Disk: Seagate Momentus 200gb 7200 2.5”, SATA
    Optical Drive: USB 
    Case/Chassis: Unknown - micro atx or mini itx
    Power Supply: unknown, came with case IP-AD120-2 (120w)
    What's not working:  
    Total Power Consumption (in Watts, if known):  42-55w measured 
    Total Cost: Approx $450 AUD, retail, 2009
    Comments / Notes: The onboard chipset fan is very noisy and prone to failure. Do NOT operate with the MB on its side, this causes the fan to fail even faster. I replaced the fan with a bigger (thicker), quieter, spins slower, but does not report speed to mb. The power supply gets quite hot and has a small high speed fan. The case has a fan which is low noise and is most definitely required to force air through the case.
      [FONT=&quot]To me this box appears to be slower than the AMD x2 5050e running about the same power consumption[/FONT]. CPU runs at about 3% peaking to about 20%.

Ian M[:)]
Children
  • Great to see this thread in addition to my question (https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/27163).
    I've bought the following system (with crossed fingers ;-)) to replace the crappy small form factor system Astaro is currently running on.

Astaro Version(s) tested: 7.501
    System OR Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-AM
    BIOS version: AMI 2.58  (ASUS 5.18)
    CPU: Intel Pentium D E5300 s775
    RAM: 2GB Corsair DDR2 667
    Disk Controller 1: Onboard Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (Intel G31/ICH7) SATA IDE Controller
    Disk Controller 2: 
    Network Interfaces: Onboard NOT Working! added 3 extra NICs with RTL8139 chipset
    VLAN support: unknown
    Video Controller: Onboard VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Graphics Controller (rev 10)
    Hard Disk: SATA 160GB Western Digital
    Optical Drive: Plexwriter (IDE / PATA)
    Comments / Notes:
    Set Compatible mode on / true for the onboard storage controller.

I had to to run the Astaro installation in 'Classic' mode!

Thanks, 

Donnie [:)]
    Astaro Version(s) tested: 7.501
    System OR Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-7S748
    BIOS version: 
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1,8GHz FSB266 
    RAM: 1 GB
    Disk Controller 1: 
    Disk Controller 2: 
    Network Interfaces: 1  SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (onboard); 1 RTL-8029(AS) PCI; Adaptec ANA620xx/ (4 x 100Mbit)
     VLAN support: (unknown|untested|no|working)
    Video Controller:  HIS RADEON 9250 128MB 
    Hard Disk: PATA 120 GB