This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

*Unofficial* Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)

Update: There is no longer an official Sophos HCL for the UTM, but the XG HCL is 99% the same for UTM.

The OFFICIAL Sophos / Astaro UTM HCL is currently at http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/118185.aspx
As it does not contain all possible hardware, I've created this thread...

Please don't post questions like "will X work?" here. Open a new thread if you have a question about buying hardware not already mentioned here.
Open a new thread if you have an installation or other question.

Update: This thread is for system configurations. If you'd like to mention a single component such as a NIC or RAID controller, please post in https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/27166

If you are having trouble with installation, please open a new thread unless you are sure that the hardware is incompatible, and if it is incompatible, be specific, e.g. "fails to detect disk", etc. Know how to use ALT-F3 etc. Ask questions in a new thread if you're not sure.

I propose that we post here with our tested system configurations, Astaro versions, and success or problems, using this template:

Template for copying/pasting:
Status: [Working|NOT Working], currently using at [Home|Work|Client]
Astaro Version(s) tested: 
System OR Motherboard: 
BIOS version: 
CPU:
RAM: 
Disk Controller 1: 
Disk Controller 2: 
Network Interfaces: 
VLAN support: (unknown|untested|no|working)
Video Controller: 
Hard Disk: (optional but please at least specify SATA/PATA/SCSI/SAS)
Optical Drive: (optional)
Case/Chassis: (optional)
Power Supply:  (optional)
What's not working: e.g. SATA doesn't work but IDE does
Total Power Consumption (in Watts, if known): [measured|estimated based upon...] please do not use the power supply rating
Total Cost: (optional, please specify currency, retail|used, and date)
Comments / Notes: (please include your Internet connection speed)

Note I used 'lscpi' to get the controllers information.
Note that one can EDIT their post later to add changes/corrections instead of posting a 'correction' post.

Also see IPS Throughput benchmarks at: https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/29110

Please don't post questions like "will X work?" here. Open a new thread if you have a question about buying hardware not already mentioned here.

Thanks!
Barry

updated
[edited by: FloSupport at 1:32 AM (GMT -7) on 8 Jun 2021]
Parents
    Astaro Version(s) tested: 9.411-3
    System OR Motherboard: JETWAY JNF592-Q170
    BIOS version: [A01]. Initial BIOS
    CPU: i3-6100
    RAM: Crucial 8GB CT102464BF160B
    Disk Controller 1: Onboard Intel
    Disk Controller 2:
    Network Interfaces: 1 x Intel I219-LM PHY Gigabit LAN, 7 x Intel I211-AT integrated Gigabit LAN
    VLAN support: Have not tested
    Video Controller: Onboard HDMI (See notes below for installation hack)
    Hard Disk: SATA - 500GB WD Blue 2.5" (Left over from an old laptop)
    Optical Drive: None (See notes below for installation hack)
    Case/Chassis: Inwin Chopin brushed aluminum w/included 150W power supply
    Power Supply:
    What's not working: Intel I219-LM (nic #1) not recongized by UTM
    Total Power Consumption (in Watts, if known): During boot approx 16w, idle around 10w. Haven't had a chance to measure under full load yet.
    Total Cost: Parts purchased new in Feb 2017. Total build cost $525 USD.
    Comments / Notes: This build is to replace an older system that was built from left over parts in late 2015. It still works now and is still in use until this new build is configured and ready. Setup of the new build didn't go as smooth as the first system but I can say it's fully functional now has a lot more to offer now that I have 7 working nics. The first nic wasn't recognized by the installer but 7 is more than enough for my home needs.

Numerous failed attempts were made initially to install UTM 9, each ending with the much talked about freezing at the 66% detecting devices. Several posts mentioned HPET, HDMI, and the Q170 chipset as possible causes. I was able to determine HPET wasn't the cause by looking over the boot messages and seeing references to HPET and a device ID found. Next step was getting around the HDMI issue. The motherboard only has a header for HDMI video so it wasn't possible to try another video output from the board. The board also does not have a standard pcie slot but does have a x4 slot for Jetway's network daughterboards. Since it was only a x4 slot, I had to buy a x1 to x16 conversion kit (< $10 on Amazon) to allow me to plug a x16 pcie video card with a VGA output. Once I did this I got past the device detection and installation continued. The next problem I encountered was the end of installation/first boot. It appeared as if the installation completed but when it rebooted I got nothing but a flashing cursor. Thinking it could have been an issue with the HDD I tried another install on a different disk but had the same result. It's worth noting that all attempts were made by installing from a bootable USB drive created with RUFUS from the ISO. I yanked an old SATA DVD drive from a desktop I had in my office closet and wired it up with a freshly burned DVD and the installation ran all the way through. First boot came up fine and I was up and running.

I'm still in the process of configuring the rules, hosts, services, etc but I did do some throughput tests and initial results are impressive. I haven't tested with IPS enabled or over IPsec but firwall throughput is basically wire speed. CPU hasn't broke past 1% yet and RAM consumption is hovering around 8% but I expect those to change once it's in place and loaded.

Astaro Version(s) tested: 9.411-3
    System OR Motherboard: JETWAY JNF592-Q170
    BIOS version: [A01]. Initial BIOS
    CPU: i3-6100
    RAM: Crucial 8GB CT102464BF160B
    Disk Controller 1: Onboard Intel
    Disk Controller 2:
    Network Interfaces: 1 x Intel I219-LM PHY Gigabit LAN, 7 x Intel I211-AT integrated Gigabit LAN
    VLAN support: Have not tested
    Video Controller: Onboard HDMI (See notes below for installation hack)
    Hard Disk: SATA - 500GB WD Blue 2.5" (Left over from an old laptop)
    Optical Drive: None (See notes below for installation hack)
    Case/Chassis: Inwin Chopin brushed aluminum w/included 150W power supply
    Power Supply:
    What's not working: Intel I219-LM (nic #1) not recongized by UTM
    Total Power Consumption (in Watts, if known): During boot approx 16w, idle around 10w. Haven't had a chance to measure under full load yet.
    Total Cost: Parts purchased new in Feb 2017. Total build cost $525 USD.
    Comments / Notes: This build is to replace an older system that was built from left over parts in late 2015. It still works now and is still in use until this new build is configured and ready. Setup of the new build didn't go as smooth as the first system but I can say it's fully functional now has a lot more to offer now that I have 7 working nics. The first nic wasn't recognized by the installer but 7 is more than enough for my home needs.

Numerous failed attempts were made initially to install UTM 9, each ending with the much talked about freezing at the 66% detecting devices. Several posts mentioned HPET, HDMI, and the Q170 chipset as possible causes. I was able to determine HPET wasn't the cause by looking over the boot messages and seeing references to HPET and a device ID found. Next step was getting around the HDMI issue. The motherboard only has a header for HDMI video so it wasn't possible to try another video output from the board. The board also does not have a standard pcie slot but does have a x4 slot for Jetway's network daughterboards. Since it was only a x4 slot, I had to buy a x1 to x16 conversion kit (< $10 on Amazon) to allow me to plug a x16 pcie video card with a VGA output. Once I did this I got past the device detection and installation continued. The next problem I encountered was the end of installation/first boot. It appeared as if the installation completed but when it rebooted I got nothing but a flashing cursor. Thinking it could have been an issue with the HDD I tried another install on a different disk but had the same result. It's worth noting that all attempts were made by installing from a bootable USB drive created with RUFUS from the ISO. I yanked an old SATA DVD drive from a desktop I had in my office closet and wired it up with a freshly burned DVD and the installation ran all the way through. First boot came up fine and I was up and running.

I'm still in the process of configuring the rules, hosts, services, etc but I did do some throughput tests and initial results are impressive. I haven't tested with IPS enabled or over IPsec but firwall throughput is basically wire speed. CPU hasn't broke past 1% yet and RAM consumption is hovering around 8% but I expect those to change once it's in place and loaded.

Children
No Data