This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

*Unofficial* Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)

Update: There is no longer an official Sophos HCL for the UTM, but the XG HCL is 99% the same for UTM.

The OFFICIAL Sophos / Astaro UTM HCL is currently at http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/118185.aspx
As it does not contain all possible hardware, I've created this thread...

Please don't post questions like "will X work?" here. Open a new thread if you have a question about buying hardware not already mentioned here.
Open a new thread if you have an installation or other question.

Update: This thread is for system configurations. If you'd like to mention a single component such as a NIC or RAID controller, please post in https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/27166

If you are having trouble with installation, please open a new thread unless you are sure that the hardware is incompatible, and if it is incompatible, be specific, e.g. "fails to detect disk", etc. Know how to use ALT-F3 etc. Ask questions in a new thread if you're not sure.

I propose that we post here with our tested system configurations, Astaro versions, and success or problems, using this template:

Template for copying/pasting:
Status: [Working|NOT Working], currently using at [Home|Work|Client]
Astaro Version(s) tested: 
System OR Motherboard: 
BIOS version: 
CPU:
RAM: 
Disk Controller 1: 
Disk Controller 2: 
Network Interfaces: 
VLAN support: (unknown|untested|no|working)
Video Controller: 
Hard Disk: (optional but please at least specify SATA/PATA/SCSI/SAS)
Optical Drive: (optional)
Case/Chassis: (optional)
Power Supply:  (optional)
What's not working: e.g. SATA doesn't work but IDE does
Total Power Consumption (in Watts, if known): [measured|estimated based upon...] please do not use the power supply rating
Total Cost: (optional, please specify currency, retail|used, and date)
Comments / Notes: (please include your Internet connection speed)

Note I used 'lscpi' to get the controllers information.
Note that one can EDIT their post later to add changes/corrections instead of posting a 'correction' post.

Also see IPS Throughput benchmarks at: https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/52/t/29110

Please don't post questions like "will X work?" here. Open a new thread if you have a question about buying hardware not already mentioned here.

Thanks!
Barry

updated
[edited by: FloSupport at 1:32 AM (GMT -7) on 8 Jun 2021]
Parents
  • Status: Currently building, getting this reserved for tomorrow when I inevitably run into problems :)
    Astaro Version(s) tested: 9.409
    System OR Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Rev v1.0
    BIOS version: 
    CPU: Core i3-6100
    RAM: 2x 4GB G-SKILL DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000)
    Disk Controller 1: Onboard SATA
    Disk Controller 2: 
    Network Interfaces: 2x Intel Onboard 10/100/1000 NICs (1 isn't compatible), 1x Intel i350 T4V2 4-Port GbE Adapter
    VLAN support: unknown
    Video Controller: 
    Hard Disk: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB
    Optical Drive: LG SATA Blu-Ray Burner (only stays in case build sticking doesn't work, then is moving to my main computer)
    Case/Chassis: RAIDMAX Element ATX-101B
    Power Supply: Thermaltake Litepower 350W
    What's not working: Cannot detect both onboard Intel NICs
    Total Power Consumption (in Watts, if known): What is the best way to measure?
    Total Cost: $457 + $20 for expedited shipping
    Comments / Notes: I'm hoping that processor - went with the i3 for the higher clock speed since I know Snort rules are single-threaded - will deliver solid speeds for my 1Gbps home connection, FTTP. If it fails to deliver, I'll jump all the way to a Core i7.

UPDATE: The install wouldn't work because it can't recognize one of the two onboard NICs. I tried to make sure the motherboard I chose had Intel NICs, but it's just freaking impossible to find out exactly which specific chip is running the NICs. It turns out, the Gigabyte board I chose had two different chips and one isn't compatible. The Intel i350 T2 and T4 cards come up consistently as winners in this list, so I'm just getting one of them. Ebay has them for FAR cheaper than you'll find them elsewhere. Once it arrives, I'll try again!

UPDATE 2: I finally got everything to work by just installing over ESXi. It's running fairly smoothly, but it limits me to about 300 Mbps from the 600 Mbps - 800 Mbps I could get without anything in place. That's obviously not the end of the world, but I was hoping that before I actually started doing full monitoring I would be getting almost the full pipe and it would only slow down after I started turning on more features.

• Status: Currently building, getting this reserved for tomorrow when I inevitably run into problems :)
    Astaro Version(s) tested: 9.409
    System OR Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Rev v1.0
    BIOS version: 
    CPU: Core i3-6100
    RAM: 2x 4GB G-SKILL DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000)
    Disk Controller 1: Onboard SATA
    Disk Controller 2: 
    Network Interfaces: 2x Intel Onboard 10/100/1000 NICs (1 isn't compatible), 1x Intel i350 T4V2 4-Port GbE Adapter
    VLAN support: unknown
    Video Controller: 
    Hard Disk: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB
    Optical Drive: LG SATA Blu-Ray Burner (only stays in case build sticking doesn't work, then is moving to my main computer)
    Case/Chassis: RAIDMAX Element ATX-101B
    Power Supply: Thermaltake Litepower 350W
    What's not working: Cannot detect both onboard Intel NICs
    Total Power Consumption (in Watts, if known): What is the best way to measure?
    Total Cost: $457 + $20 for expedited shipping
    Comments / Notes: I'm hoping that processor - went with the i3 for the higher clock speed since I know Snort rules are single-threaded - will deliver solid speeds for my 1Gbps home connection, FTTP. If it fails to deliver, I'll jump all the way to a Core i7.

UPDATE: The install wouldn't work because it can't recognize one of the two onboard NICs. I tried to make sure the motherboard I chose had Intel NICs, but it's just freaking impossible to find out exactly which specific chip is running the NICs. It turns out, the Gigabyte board I chose had two different chips and one isn't compatible. The Intel i350 T2 and T4 cards come up consistently as winners in this list, so I'm just getting one of them. Ebay has them for FAR cheaper than you'll find them elsewhere. Once it arrives, I'll try again!

UPDATE 2: I finally got everything to work by just installing over ESXi. It's running fairly smoothly, but it limits me to about 300 Mbps from the 600 Mbps - 800 Mbps I could get without anything in place. That's obviously not the end of the world, but I was hoping that before I actually started doing full monitoring I would be getting almost the full pipe and it would only slow down after I started turning on more features.

Children
No Data