This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Partition /var/up2date run out of space

I have a secuBOOK Office from timenet (Astaro Security Linux Appliance) and after the inital setup I started the installation of the available Up2Date-packages. During the installation of 5.018 I got:
---
System Up2Date failed:  Child  process 20944 ended: Exit Status 12, Signal 0
---
So I wrote to the Astarosupport and asked, what to do. They sent me these tips:
---
1. Check via Shell Access if /var/up2date is full
2. if so, use rm -f 5*
3. please don't write us again - we don't support end users. Call your dealer and pay for help. 
---

God news: 1 and 2 solved my problems!
But here are my questions:
How can /var/up2date run out of space on a certified astaro appliance?
Why didn't I get any warningmessage from the system (only this cryptic error)? The astarofeedback shows me, that this problem is well known to astaro. Should be simple to prevent this bug!?
I paid a lot of bucks for this certified appliance - why are these guys so unfriendly? Is this common for astaro?

I'm interested in your opinions!

Smartboy

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

As an Astaro Partner, our company is closely associated with Astaro and we know them pretty well (the U.S. office, anyway).  They really are a bunch of nice people -- wonderful, in fact.  They care about their product and they fully support their partners -- two qualities which are becoming increasingly rare in IT these days.  

Although whoever sent you that email probably could have stated it with a bit more tact, the simple fact is that you bought an appliance that was certified by your dealer to run Astaro, not certified by Astaro.  Astaro is correct -- you need to direct your questions to the dealer that sold you the appliance, as Astaro probably has little information on exactly how that box is built.  

For example, our company (Office Defender) builds appliances that run ASL, as well as license sales and technical support.  Astaro expects us to provide (and duly charge for) support -- not ship off our clients to Astaro engineering for help, especially if this involves one of our own boxes.  Astaro does offer technical support, but you have to pay extra for it.

If you're looking for free help, this forum is excellent.  There are a lot of experienced Astaro users here and a few Partners and Astaro-certified engineers that hang out.  Otherwise, you need to go back and beat up on your vendor for the help you need.

Hope this helps.

-Steve
  • There does seem to be a bit of an issue with the amount of space allocated to up2date partition in v5.  It's quite small on my system.  Perhaps more space should be allocated to it?

I had a problem on my home machine where I didn't have the space to uncompress an up2date.  No other up2dates were present so it looks to me like the partition is too small.
    (10GB HDD)
  • There does seem to be a bit of an issue with the amount of space allocated to up2date partition in v5.  It's quite small on my system.  Perhaps more space should be allocated to it?

I had a problem on my home machine where I didn't have the space to uncompress an up2date.  No other up2dates were present so it looks to me like the partition is too small.
    (10GB HDD)
Children
  • Simon, how much space is allocated for your /var/up2date partition?

-Steve
  • On different Systems, I did not see /var/up2date become greater than 350MB,
    which ist quite small if you missied some updates or Installed from an old media.
    40G Harddisk or more, but only 350MB for up2date..........

Oktay
  • Why wouldn't 350MB be enough?  The largest up2date as of late is only about 28MB.  Aren't these files automatically deleted after installation?

-Steve
  • Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                  610152    308116    271044  54% /
    /dev/root               610152    308116    271044  54% /
    tmpfs                    32768      1104     31664   4% /opt/tmpfs
    /dev/hda1               351424     15183    318098   5% /boot
    /dev/hda5              4584196    406900   3940672  10% /var/storage
    /dev/hda6               351424     64544    268737  20% /var/up2date
    /dev/hda8               402664    227114    154761  60% /var/sec
    /dev/hda9              6144028     69320   5757568   2% /var/log
    /dev/hda10              417270      8234    387491   3% /tmp
    none                     95836         0     95836   0% /var/shm
  • Hi,
    the up2date partition is normally allways 320 MB this should be enough... but it seems that sometimes the updates that are installed are not deleted.
    thats the reason astaro support gave u that command.

And btw timenet appliances are tested by astaro [;)]
  • [ QUOTE ]
    Hi,
    the up2date partition is normally allways 320 MB this should be enough... but it seems that sometimes the updates that are installed are not deleted.
    thats the reason astaro support gave u that command.

And btw timenet appliances are tested by astaro [;)] 

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I saw, it seems that when you install multiple Updates
    by clicking on the newest, all Updates get extracted on that
    partition. With multiple Updates extracted you easily hit the 320MB.
    This especially happened when v5 was very new.