This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Installing across multiple hard drives?

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find anything using the search feature of the forum.

I used to use ASL v4 at one point, but ditched it for Smoothwall Express 2 (don't ask why, it's a long story).  I downloaded ASL v5.001 (asl-5.001-040408-4.iso) from the German mirror and burnt to CD.  This was about a month back.

Today, having spent yesterday rebuilding two PCs almost from scratch, I went to install ASL v5 on a pc with the following spec:

-> Celeron 1.3
->128mb RAM
-> Onboard LAN + 2 other NICs
-> 2.4 GB Hard Drive

I load up the setup from CD and it says my HDD is too small.  ASL v4 didn't complain, it just worked and when installed didn't use more than 2/3 of the hard drive.

*MOOD: A bit pissed off*

So I grab a 3gb HDD i have lying around and stuff that in, having removed the 2.4gb drive.  Still no luck - HDD is not big enough.

*MOOD: 75% pissed off*

I remember that I have another hard drive lying around that is also 3gb (same model as the other 3gb drive), and I put this in as Primary Slave.  I load up the setup and it says that ASL won't install on multiple hard disks.

*MOOD: Really angry now*

Is there any way I can install it on a 3gb drive, or over 2 disks as I dont intend to buy another hard drive in the near future.  All the ones I have here are 3gb or less - 4x2gb, 1x545mb, 2x1.2gb.

Any suggestions?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • hi

the smallest drive v5 allows is 6gb.  anything smaller and it will complain.  the extra space is required for certain certificate programs it is trying to be part of and the greater logging used.   however you we need to be a very heavy user to get even close to this 6gb minimun requirement.  I guess Astaro has to allow for that situation though
  • Bah, oh well, back to v4 then [:(]
  • I did not find Any specific way to do that but youtube some time helps me alot search with the following query " install in multiple/external hard drive" it might be helpful.
    Or if any one knows more about this kindly help us out.

• Why have you restarted a 14 year old thread? You now need a minimum of 20-30gb to build a UTM and it all needs to be one one drive and these drives are very cheap if you can find one that small.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.