This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any experience with Asus P2B-D series?

I wonder if anyone has tried SMP support on Asus P2B-DS?  This is a dual slot-1 motherboard capable of supporting dual P3-1GHz (from what I've read).  It's not on the Astaro HCL, so I don't know how well it will work.

Any info appreciated. 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • The ASUS P2B-D works very well with astaro... The DS version is a little trickier... I have never gotten the SCSI working (read more about it here: https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/53/t/32067 )

Hope this helps a bit [:)]

Ruben   
  • Ruben,
    That's most definitely reassuring.  And so the SMP support works well under ASL v5?  I don't have any SCSI devices, so I'll be able to disable that.  

I'm running ASL v4 on that motherboard, but no SMP capabilities (dual P2-400s).  With v5, I aim to upgrade to dual P3-600s if I will benefit from the dual CPU setup.

I did a little research online and find that Linux SMP has worked well with this board (according to a number of testimonials).  I'm hopeful, then, that Astaro's SMP will work well, too!
  • For SMP you need an extra license. 
  • Lovely.  How very kind of them.  Has Astaro published a guide to the v5 licensing?  I dug around yesterday, and I didn't find anything definitive.  That's a bit disappointing, but understandable.  I am targeting a return to open-source when my license expires this year.

Thanks for the heads-up.  Certainly, if you have a link to the new licensing terms (and components), I appreciate it. 
  • Just a follow-up... At last, I had the time to upgrade to ASL v5.  Early in this thread (v5-beta timeframe), I was curious about SMP support for the Asus P2B-DS.  I have this mobo with two P2-400s (yeah, yeah); SMP install option with ASL v5.015 ISO installed just fine.  Reviewing /var/log/boot.log, it appears everything initializes just fine and both CPUs are operational.

This is a bit of a Frankenstein box, but the Asus P2B-DS seems to be holding up well thusfar.  I'll update if I encounter any issues.
  • I have been using this board in my Astaro firewall since v4 (currently running latest version of v5.018), I am running it in SMP with 2x Intel P2 350MHz and its been up now for just under a year..... when it went down due to some weird SNMP problems I was having with it..... apart from that, its been solid, even with the older version of Astaro [:)]

In case it makes any difference, I am using the onboard IDE for the boot, the onboard SCSI (which I believe is optional) is enabled but nothing connected. There is also a standard IDE CDROM and floppy drive installed. 2x Intel PRO 100 S Server Adapter NIC's provide network connectivity [:)]

Hope this helps !
  • I have been using this board in my Astaro firewall since v4 (currently running latest version of v5.018), I am running it in SMP with 2x Intel P2 350MHz and its been up now for just under a year..... when it went down due to some weird SNMP problems I was having with it..... apart from that, its been solid, even with the older version of Astaro [:)]

In case it makes any difference, I am using the onboard IDE for the boot, the onboard SCSI (which I believe is optional) is enabled but nothing connected. There is also a standard IDE CDROM and floppy drive installed. 2x Intel PRO 100 S Server Adapter NIC's provide network connectivity [:)]

Hope this helps !
Children
No Data