This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why are my Ethernet cards not identified?

While the Astaro install program correctly identified my three Ethernet cards as two 3C905 and one Realtek, the running ASL v4.020 system shows all three Ethernet circuits as [unknown vendor / unknown chipset] . Why is that?

Since I could only tell the three Ethernet circuits apart by their IRQ numbers, I ended up rerunning the entire ASL v4 installation, just to find out which IRQ was used by the Realtek Ethernet circuit on the PC motherboard, since that was the one I wished to use for the external network.

I am puzzled by the fact that the software installer program can correctly identify the various Ethernet cards, but the running ASL system cannot. 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I have seen that... 

I believe I fixed it by booting with the noapic option. 
  • The problem will not be solved by issuing the noapic option.  

The problem lies in the /usr/local/bin/setitfhw.pl file 
    In its current format the file cannot handle devices properly that are identified as "Network devices" instead of "Ethernet devices"

I have made some fixes to the file and they can be found here, make sure you backup your existing file by renaming it with the .bak extension, use at your own risk.

https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/51/t/20927   
  • Thank you for all the good info, but I have succeeded in solving my problem with the unidentified Ethernet cards in a different way. At first, I ran ASL v 4 on a clone box with a Gigabyte GA-6VEML motherboard. It was on this machine all three Ethernet circuits showed up as unidentified.

Since then I have moved my ASL v 4 setup over to a Compaq Deskpro EN SFF small form factor machine that I bought used. I moved the same two 3Com 3C905B cards into it. On the Compaq everything is fine. ASL now properly identifies the cards.

I don't really understand why it was different on the Gigabyte board. After all, Gigabyte is a quite respectable brand, but it no longer matters to me. The GA-6VEML box has now become a WinXP workstation.

The used Compaq Deskpro EN SFF box that I picked up for $80 is an excellent box to run ASL on. It has a P3 500 MHz CPU, 128 MB RAM, a 6.4 GB IDE disk, Intel 10/100 Ethernet on the motherboard, and two PCI slots for the additional Ethernet cards.

The unit I bought did not have a CDROM drive in it, so I had to open it and temporarily connect an IDE CDROM drive while I installed ASL on it. A bit of an annoyance, but once ASL is up and running, there isn't much point in having a CDROM drive on the box anyway.    
  • I, too, have this same problem.  Where the install detects the cards properly, but the GUI does not.  It sees one card correctly, and the other 2 it does not.  Tester, will your fix fix my problem too maybe?