This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Transferring license from software appliance to SG425

Hi folks, 

We have had repeated issues with our software SG VM and I have purchased an SG425...... how do I go about transferring license as I am getting error loading existing license file

TIA!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Hi  

The software license from your SG VM will not work with the hardware SG as a license file for hardware SG is different. 

I would advise you to open a case with the customer care by sending an email at customercare@sophos.com for further assistance. 

Thanks,

• Theoretically....you could try to install the SG(?) / UTM 425 device completelly new with a "software iso" (the same one you installed your virtual appliance) and then try to add the license.

But before you re-install the UTM 425 you have to delete the whole partitions existing on the storage.

But I don´t know if this would be "legally harmless"... ;)

• Good thinking, I have a load of spare ssds knocking around so can try this..... do the SG hardware units boot from the hard disk media? Was considering replacing the platter 2.5" drive anyway 

• At the moment I have also a UTM 425 here and replaced the old 2,5" hdd with a 2,5" ssd and also installed a software iso for testing the device in trial mode....works fine.

• Guys, if you open the case of an SG, you void the hardware warranty. DO NOT replace the hard drive!

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I think it was a fault in naming that device(s)...there is NO SG425....only an UTM425 and they are very old and should have no more warranty. The other point of his question or problem was to transfer a software license which normally should not have a hardware warranty based on a specific device. ;)

So for me and also for the thread owner I think there should be no risk for voiding warranty.

• You're right, Andy.  My comment above about opening an SG case still stands though.

Let's hope he has a UTM 425 and not a new SG 430, in which case, your solution is a great one!  I would also recommend the trick in ASG 425 Display with home license.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I also hope so...but the chance or the risk for a mistype between 425 or 430 is very low....I often read mistakes between SG and UTM... ;)

[...] in which case, your solution is a great one! [...]

Was that ironic?

• I'm never ironic unless it's accompanied by a happy-face icon, Andy.  My phraseology could have been clearer.  Your solution is great for a UTM 425!

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • how did you go about installing the iso on the new drive?