This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can a virtualized UTM protect its host?

Hi everyone

I plan to migrate from a bare-metal installation to a virtual one. I could use a bare-metal virtualizer as ESXi and set-up Sophos UTM in a VM there. As far as I read this seems to work flawlessly. However, this set-up brings some other, non UTM-related, complications with it. For me it might be easier to set-up a Ubuntu desktop and run virtualbox or KVM on Ubuntu.

But can Sophos UTM be running in a virtualbox AND protect its host (Ubuntu desktop)? I thought about passing through all the NICs to the VM and setting one of the internal NICs to bridged mode. Or can I create something like a vNIC which is shared between the host and UTM?

I know the ESXi-version was preferred UTM-wise, but the Ubuntu-Desktop-version comes with its own benefits. I just don't know if I still be able to protect the host itself via UTM.

Any experiences with that? Thank you very much in advance. :)

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • you can protect your client-OS from layer3 (IP-layer) upwards.

if you use/share a single NIC from Client to Firewall, you should use the external reacheble IP at one SG-Interface only and a second IP-Range internally and for your Client-PC.

So every traffic has to pass the UTM before leave your PC and vice versa.

Works for demonstation with VMWare Workstation ... not tested with virtualbox or KVM.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• you can protect your client-OS from layer3 (IP-layer) upwards.

if you use/share a single NIC from Client to Firewall, you should use the external reacheble IP at one SG-Interface only and a second IP-Range internally and for your Client-PC.

So every traffic has to pass the UTM before leave your PC and vice versa.

Works for demonstation with VMWare Workstation ... not tested with virtualbox or KVM.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

Children
No Data