This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos UTM Home and Wi-Fi router

Hello,

I am fighting to run my router (NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000) as a Wi-Fi AP with my Sophos UTM Home edition.

Here is my configuration:

Sophos UTM with 4 NIC:

1 LAN NIC (eth0) (192.168.0.0/24)

1 WAN NIC (eth3) (ISP dynamic address)

1 Wi-Fi NIC (eth2) -> Where I want to use my R7000 as an access point

LAN & WAN are OK, no problem with these interfaces.

For Wi-Fi, what I want is to have Wi-Fi in the same LAN as my internal LAN (192.168.0.0/24). I have a Windows Server DHCP cluster/DNS on this LAN.

I have pass my R7000 to AP Mode, put the 192.168.0.250 IP address, gateway to 192.168.0.254 and put my Windows Server DNS.

On the UTM I created a new Wi-Fi interface (eth2), and I gave it 192.168.0.250 as well. To put it simply, nothing works with Wi-Fi, and if I’m sure I forgot something, I’d like to know if someone here could help me with that. I followed this HOWTO but without results: https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/f/general-discussion/21968/faq-howto-using-a-wireless-router-with-the-utm/

Let me know if more details are needed and thanks in advance for your valuable help!

John

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello John,

eth0 is really 192.168.0.0 ?

I would recommend to set this either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.254, that is your default gateway from now on.

If you want your AP to be in the same network as your "LAN"-nic eth0, then you have to bridge eth0 and eth2.

A bridge carries ONE ip address which is accessible from both physical interfaces, this would be the ip you chose above.

All you have to do now is to point your Netgear with its 192.168.0.250 to use the bridge as the default gateway. That's it.

Mit freundlichem Gruß, best regards from Germany,

Philipp Rusch

New Vision GmbH, Germany
    Sophos Silver-Partner

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hi jprusch,

First thanks for your answer!

eth0 is 192.168.0.254, sorry for the mistake!

How to bridge properly eth0 and eth2? When I try to create an Ethernet Bridge on interfaces, I can't choose eth0, I have eth2 checked and I can only check eth1 which is free. Maybe it's in another menu?

Thank you!

John

• Oh, If I edit the LAN Nic, I can bridge eth2... Sorry ! For me, it was necessary to create the Interface and to bridge it eth0. I will configure my Netgear AP now and let you know if it's OK!

• Hi again jprusch,

Thank you very much! It works.

Clients not receive DHCP addresses but I activated the DHCP relay on the UTM to my DHCP Windows Server cluster and it worked.

Thanks again and best regards!

John