This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hardware for Sophos UTM on VM with 10 GBit/s network

I am running a Sophos UTM on bare metal for over a year now. Currently, I am planning an upgrade and I'd like to move the UTM into a VM on a more powerful machine, together with (also in a VM) a NAS (as storage and download manager as well as media central). My new ISP offers 10 GBit/s via fibre. What do I have to take into account when building this machine? What minimum CPU speeds / number of cores / amount of RAM should I have, if I want to enjoy the maximum network speed of 10 GBit/s? Are there any restrictions to 10GBit/s NICs with RJ45 ports? Am I good to go with vSphere as a Hypervisor or should I try something else?

Thank you very much in advance!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hallo,

I doubt you can fill even a 1Gig pipe if this is a home-use situation.  How many simultaneous users do you have?  What is your daily, weekly or monthly download volume?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thank you Bob for your reply and your specific questions. It is a home-use situation, yes. There are about 10 devices simultaneously connected, so that shouldn't be a bottle neck. But, as a astro-physicist, I have a considerable amount of data for a single machine. The raw data of a single telescope image can take 10s of GB. And as I am often free to work where I prefer, working frome home is one of my favorites.

The ISP provides 10 GBit/s anyways, and there is not really a cheaper solution from another (or the same ISP) with lower speed, so it does not make sense to go for a slower connection. So it would be nice to make use of it, even if it is on rare occasions for the rest of the family, it is of regular use to me and my work.

I hope this gives a better idea of my situation and my goals. :)

• Sounds like fun!

You can create an Intrusion Prevention Exception for the satellite downloads and you will want to exclude any satellite accesses via Web Filtering.

Look at the last page or two of the "unofficial HCL" which is at the top of this forum for suggestions about NICs and other hardware.  You will want the fastest CPU you can afford.  Probably at least two cores, but as many as you might have different devices needing such high bandwidth simultaneously.  8GB of RAM with the potential to go to 32.

Please post back here with your choice so that others may comment before you buy.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • It definitely is fun! There is so much to explore: the whole universe, literally. :P

Thank you for your ideas concerning the exceptions, which sound very reasonable.

Fast multicore CPU and 32GB RAM sounds feasible. Are there any restrictions to 10 GBit NICs and virtualisation I should be aware of? Thank you very much. Have a pleasant day.

• See *Unofficial* Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) and UTM HCL.  If using ESXi, choose VMXNET3 NICs.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Reply Children
No Data