This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

License limit, options?

Question for the resellers here:

I've have offered my (sysadmin) services, in my spare time, to a quite substantial open source project (https://openpli.org).

I've found that they use a Virtual UTM HA cluster (active-passive, on ESX 6.5), using a Home license. It currently has 43 active IP's listed. An extension of the number of servers in their automated build and distribution farm is on the horizon, and they want me to work on roling out IPv6. All of which is not possible with the current license.

I've checked the configuration, and all they use are Network protection and Web server protection. No email, no web, no endpoint, no wireless. So a datacenter type setup, no users behind the UTM.

What are the options, given the fact that the project is completely funded by small (average $10) donations by users of the project?

Is moving to XG Home an option? Is that on par with the features mentioned above (HA, IPv6, Network and Webserver protection, and their featureset)?

I've looked at several of your colleagues that have pricing online to get an idea of the licensing costs for the UTM (which I personally still prefer over the XG), but a 75 or 100 user license easily goes far north of $1000 a year, and that is a lot of donations to receive.

The project has several deals with other vendors regarding special pricing for non-profit organisations (which they are, although not formally registered as such, they aren't a charity), or even been given free licenses (Gitlab EE for example).

I guess Sophos doesn't have something similar that can help this project out? Any other option to be properly licensed that doesn't break the bank?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Based on my experience, donations need to be arranged through a sales channel or through TechSoup.Org (if your organization qualifies).

Since the undertaking is by an organization, not a family (and you are not a family member), I see no justification for using a home license, with either XG or UTM.   You need to raise more money and do it right.   Keeping a non-profit alive is hard.

• I understand your response, but unfortunately it doesn't offer any solution to the situation I find myself in.

• Why would you expect a workaround to exist?

You can kick some devices or users out to make room for others.

Internal devices stay in tbe usage list for a week after they go offline.   I do not know how it scores remote users.

• I am not expecting workarounds, I am hoping for solutions. Where "buy the licenses at full list price" is not a solution. I have never said it has to be free (although that is preferable).

But you don't even seem to have read my post properly. 

There are no users, this is a datacenter type setup, only servers. And if you don't know what the UTM does with remote users when it comes to licencing, you're not even qualified to answer.

• I am not expecting workarounds, I am hoping for solutions. Where "buy the licenses at full list price" is not a solution. I have never said it has to be free (although that is preferable).

But you don't even seem to have read my post properly. 

There are no users, this is a datacenter type setup, only servers. And if you don't know what the UTM does with remote users when it comes to licencing, you're not even qualified to answer.

Children