This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DHCPC timeout insufficient

Without getting into the why, the default of 20 seconds is too short for my needs.  I need to bump this to 60 sec.

utm:/root # cat /var/sec/chroot-dhcpc/etc/eth4.conf
interface "eth4" {
        timeout 20;
        retry 60;
        script "/usr/sbin/dhcp_updown.plx";
        request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset,
           routers, domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name,
           domain-search, nis-domain, nis-servers,
           ntp-servers, interface-mtu;

}

How can this be done so it survives reboots?  For now I have another cronjob that runs 2 min after boot and every hour to check and adjust the timeout value if needed.  This seems kludgy and adds another layer or complication. Didn't find anywhere to configure this in the UI. Is there another script to edit?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • You're right, Jay, I don't see any easier way to do it - nothing in the GUI and nothing in the related objects or settings to manipulate with cc.

I see the problem - I thought AT&T business service was better than that!

You know, I wonder if this might not be related to a problem I've seen before with AT&T fiber and Cisco routers.  We had to go to fixed speed & duplex on the UTM and the Cisco - see #7.7 in Rulz.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • The service in question is att home service, symmetrical gigabit plan.  I'm connecting to it in an unsupported way.  I see no point in using their gateway box when a direct connection between utm and the ont is possible.  Most of the folks over on dslr are doing the same with pfsense where control over the setting I'm having issues with is possible directly.

I don't think the issue is duplex or speed.  There are no user adjustable settings on the ONT.  Once the wan cable is unplugged/replugged, the ont requires 802.1x authentication before data can flow. This is confusing utm because it sees an interface that's up, so dhcp client tries to renew.  The only other work around is to somehow add a delay before dhcp attempts are made.  I see no easy way to do this.

Even if forced to 1000baseT/full, it takes almost 40 seconds before successful dhcp renewal can occur.

Even with all of these issues, this is still better than the method used before, which if the service went down or was rebooted further upstream would require manual intervention on my part to regain connectivity.

• The service in question is att home service, symmetrical gigabit plan.  I'm connecting to it in an unsupported way.  I see no point in using their gateway box when a direct connection between utm and the ont is possible.  Most of the folks over on dslr are doing the same with pfsense where control over the setting I'm having issues with is possible directly.

I don't think the issue is duplex or speed.  There are no user adjustable settings on the ONT.  Once the wan cable is unplugged/replugged, the ont requires 802.1x authentication before data can flow. This is confusing utm because it sees an interface that's up, so dhcp client tries to renew.  The only other work around is to somehow add a delay before dhcp attempts are made.  I see no easy way to do this.

Even if forced to 1000baseT/full, it takes almost 40 seconds before successful dhcp renewal can occur.

Even with all of these issues, this is still better than the method used before, which if the service went down or was rebooted further upstream would require manual intervention on my part to regain connectivity.

Children
No Data