This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is it cheaper to deploy a UTM appliance or my own hardware?

Hello.

I need to install a UTM at a remote office and establish a RED connection back to head office.  I'm unsure if I should purchase a UTM appliance or install onto my own hardware.  I'm confident I can achieve the same results either way but cost is a big factor in this project.

All I need at the remote office is:

• a RED connection back to head office
  • essential firewall (obviously)
  • web protection (as I don't want to backhaul this to head office)
  • wireless protection (I'll need to deploy an AP55 access point)
  • capacity for 5 users initially, probably no more than 15 total, that won't require much bandwidth (just accessing a few apps from head office and internet/email)

So my question is whether one option is significantly cheaper than the other?  If I buy the appliance do I still need the FullGuard license on top or is the appliance licensed already?  I assume for the above I'll need FullGuard rather than BasicGuard.

Thanks,
Dave

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi David,

Over all I would say the cheapest option is the bundle SG115 totalprotect (SG115 appliance + fullguard).

Else you have to buy the hardware plus 3 subscritions (network-, web-, wireless-protection) or cheaper fullguard for 10 IPs.

bye Josef

BERGMANN engineering & consulting GmbH, Wien/Austria

• Hi Josef.

Thanks for the reply.  Are you saying that all appliances include the FullGuard as a bundle?  Or will I still need to buy the license on top of the hardware?  I was thinking about getting the SG210 as it is rack mountable.

Thanks,
    Dave

• David Webb said:

Thanks for the reply.  Are you saying that all appliances include the FullGuard as a bundle?  Or will I still need to buy the license on top of the hardware?  I was thinking about getting the SG210 as it is rack mountable. 

No, just the "Totalprotect"-bundles includes the "FullGuard"-subscription with the appliance.

If you just buy the appliance you only get the "Essential Firewall" license wich only includes some basic firewall-features (no RED, no Webfilter, no Wireless).

The SG210 is heavly oversized for 5-15 users, in would suggest the SG115 (optimal according sizing-guide). There is also a 19" rack-kit option for the SG1XX-models if you need rack mountable.

bye Josef

BERGMANN engineering & consulting GmbH, Wien/Austria

• Hi Josef.

I have been quoted £1500 for the Fullguard license to install on my own hardware compared to nearly £5500 for the SG210 and FullGuard license.  I can probably get a server for £1000 making it about half the price of the appliance.

Does that sound right?

Thanks,
    Dave

• Hi Dave and welcome to the UTM Community!

As Josef implies above, no, that doesn't sound right.

The SG 210 is serious overkill for what you describe - an SG 115 likely might better fill the bill if cost is an issue.

Instead of the 25-IP license, start with one for 10 IPs.  If you get past 10, it's a simple matter to change the license to 25 IPs in exchange for cutting the time remaining to about half what you had on the 10-IP subscription.

There are other issues involved in this decision, so you might want to ask Sophos Sales for a different reseller recommendation if your current one isn't asking more questions about speeds, usage levels, etc.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thank you all for your replies, I managed to order a SG125 Total Protect bundle for a 3rd of the cost of FullGuard and my own hardware.

Reply Children
No Data