This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Using a SG310 for Home Firewall

Our company after using the SG 310 for several years (see my prior posts), is moving entirely to Meraki (much to my chagrin). Anyway, it isn't a total loss as I get to take the now-retired SG 310 home. I fancied I would get a UTM Home license, but when I go to activate it I get an error: "Cannot use ASG software license on SG310 device"

Looking through the forums for similar messages, I am not clear on what I need to do. Do I need to re-flash the 310 to a different OS? Is there even a license available for me to use for this? I can easily swap out the hard drives (I have a couple of unused 500GB drives available) and put a new OS on it if need be. Are there any good guides that are available out there?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • DrIndyJones,

if the UTM Hardware version is installed you just need to ssh to your device and remove/rename the etc/asg file.

Then reboot the the device and install your home license.

But due to energy consumption I do not recommend the SG310 for home use.

Best Regards
    DKKDG

• Thanks for the reply. I'll do that.

I can't find much by way of power consumption any documentation? If you were in my shoes, what would you do with a lightly used SG310? Bearing in mind, I do a fair amount of high-end internet use at home, including hosting my own personal file server.

• Here are the performance data:
    https://www.sophos.com/de-de/medialibrary/PDFs/factsheets/sophos-sg-series-appliances-brna.pdf

You could try to sell the hardware on different platform or you find somebody here that need a SG310.

Due to the performance sheet your home appliance should be a SG135 at maximum but for that price you could build your own appliance that is more powerful.

Best Regards
    DKKDG

• I read the spec sheet, but it doesn't say what the watt-hours are. I think still have a kill-a-watt meter in my supply closet. I'll run it for a few days to see what it may cost to run annually.

I'm not seeing a whole lot of movement on the SG-310 in the second-hand market. 

• In the spec sheet is here the info about the power

• I would sell the SG on eBay, buy a new, small, energy-efficient device and keep the change.

Check the last page or two of the unofficial HCL at the top of the Installation forum.  Note that Realtek, Marvel and 3Com NICs are to be avoided.

I see you live in the USA where, unlike in Europe, electricity is cheap.  If you decide to keep the 310, consult Use Appliance with a home license.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks, Bob.

Yes, I live in GA, USA. The SG310 will cost about $2-$3 a month to run. Which I think is reasonable. 

On eBay, SG310s are selling for about $500. Which isn't chump change, but doesn't get me really excited either when I consider the time and effort to post, repost, repost, repost, repost, and then pack and ship in a timely manner. Call me lazy, I guess.

That said, I'll look into building my own, but last I looked into making one it was going to cost ~$100 worth of parts. The SG310 was/is free (hardware-wise) for me.

• Thanks, Bob.

Yes, I live in GA, USA. The SG310 will cost about $2-$3 a month to run. Which I think is reasonable. 

On eBay, SG310s are selling for about $500. Which isn't chump change, but doesn't get me really excited either when I consider the time and effort to post, repost, repost, repost, repost, and then pack and ship in a timely manner. Call me lazy, I guess.

That said, I'll look into building my own, but last I looked into making one it was going to cost ~$100 worth of parts. The SG310 was/is free (hardware-wise) for me.

Children
No Data