This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Internet pass-through from DMZ to external Wireless Router

Hello,

First off, I've found this forum an extremely useful resource and mostly managed to find the info I need by searching, alas I can't seem to find the answer to the following.

I use an SG115 with the Sophos UTM home license, along with an AP55c AP.  So far I've been fine with the 50 IP limit.  Now, with all my smart plugs etc I'm starting to regularly skirt the 55 IP limit.

I'd like to move all my IoT devices onto a segregated network so that they don't count against the IP limit.  They only need internet access and obviously no access back into the internal network, or each other.  I have a Mikrotik wireless router lying around unused so I'd like to use that for this purpose.

My theory is that I can use the DMZ port on the SG to pass-through  the Internet connection to the miktrotik, where I can set the wireless rules.  I 'think' I need to do the following, can someone please tell me if I'm way off base here?  thanks in advance:

1- Create the DMZ Interface on the UTM, Eth2 (DMZ) and give it an IP e.g. 192.168.88.2

2- Create a Masq rule as follows - Network - Any, Interface DMZ

3 - Firewall Rule - Source - Any, Services - Web Surfing, Destinations - DMZ, ALLOW

Then on the Microtik side, the Router IP is 192.168.88.1, set WAN address to 192.168.88.2

will this work?

Thanks in advance

-Phil

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Phil - your first thread - welcome to the UTM Community!

Interesting - the first time I've seen this question asked in such a way that I thought about how to "hide" a subnet and not contravene the licensing agreement...

If you're not using anything other than NAT and Firewall for your IoT network, I think you would be in compliance:

• Make an Exception for 192.168.88.0/30 for everything in Intrusion Prevention.
    • Don't include 192.168.88.0/30 in Web Filtering.
    • Exclude 192.168.88.0/30 in Application Control.
    • Add 192.168.88.0/30 to 'Threat Exceptions' in 'Advanced Threat Protection'.

If anyone sees something I missed, please comment.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Phil - your first thread - welcome to the UTM Community!

Interesting - the first time I've seen this question asked in such a way that I thought about how to "hide" a subnet and not contravene the licensing agreement...

If you're not using anything other than NAT and Firewall for your IoT network, I think you would be in compliance:

• Make an Exception for 192.168.88.0/30 for everything in Intrusion Prevention.
    • Don't include 192.168.88.0/30 in Web Filtering.
    • Exclude 192.168.88.0/30 in Application Control.
    • Add 192.168.88.0/30 to 'Threat Exceptions' in 'Advanced Threat Protection'.

If anyone sees something I missed, please comment.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
  • Thanks very much Bob, you’re right it’s not my intention to circumvent the license, I only need these devices to have basic Nat protection (provided by the mikrotik) and internet access to allow them to function and get updates. If I could split my internet connection in two that would be ideal but since I can’t...hence the dmz idea. I will add that config to my utm. Many thanks for the response

Phil