This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Installation stuck at "detecting asg devices"

Hello,

Thank you for providing the Sophos UTM product for home use. I am trying out Sophos UTM for first time on a machine that has been running pfSense for years. The installation is stuck at "Detecting ASG Devices". I have re-run this a few times with the same result.

How do I get past this to install?

I have attached screenshots of the installer and the console in case helpful.

I am using asg-9.510-5.1.iso from a thumbdrive made bootable by Rufus.

Thanks,

Ari

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • You have the right image, Ari.  Did you run an MD5 checksum on the ISO before you burned it to your USB key?  It could be that some hardware device in your setup is not supported.  The Intel 82574 has problems, but I don't know about yours.  Folks also have problems with video.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • The MD5 sum was correct.

Per the forum it appears others have had problems with the iso images not being bootable.

https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/f/hardware-installation-up2date-licensing/105715/installation-stuck-at-detecting-asg-devices/385793#385793

Similar to that thread, in my trials, the only way I have been able to get a bootable usb drive from the provided iso images is to use Rufus and to select DD mode (option appears after telling Rufus to burn the image to the thumb drive).

So I still had the problems with Sophos UTM being stuck at detecting ASG devices. (Could it be hardware incompatibility? My NICs are Intel 82577LM and Intel 82583v).

However, was able to install Sophos XG. Unfortunately, I could not get XG to provide a DHCP lease on the LAN so that I could get in and configure it. I used the VGA console to set a LAN IP address (192.168.10.1) and then, even connecting directly to the LAN NIC, I was not able to access (or ping) the admin interface at http(s)://192.168.10.1:4444

So, UTM may not work for my hardware. And as for using XG, this topic would then move into "how to initially configure".