This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Home UTM 9.5 - Losing network connections

I've recently purchased a Zotac ci327 Nano and have loaded Sophos home UTM onto it.

The machine runs fairly well with one exception:  the internet connection keeps dropping.  The inside interface stays up and I can access the UI & SSH, but the external interface goes down and shows in Error state in the UI.

Only after I bought this thing did I realize that it had Realtek NICs in it. :(

lspci is reporting "Realtek Semiconductor. , Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)"

When I run an lsmod on it, it reports r8169.

I've tried rmmod'ing the r8169 and using the "8139too" driver instead, but with no luck - after reboot, it reverts to r8169.  If I blacklist that driver, then the interfaces simply don't show up in ifconfig after reboot.

I suspect there's a driver issue with this particular NIC, but am curious if anyone has any advice on this.  Is there a way to update the driver to a more stable one?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Wade and welcome to the UTM Community.

Unfortunately, you've run up against #7 in Rulz.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I see... Thanks for that, Bob.

Yeah - I had my fill at around 3am when I couldn't find a suitable driver.  The box is solid, and I love the build, but had I researched enough to know that it had Realtek NICs, I would have bought something else.

As it is, I've ordered a Qotom Q190G4-S02 with Intel I211AT NICs in it as a replacement, and am returning the Zotac.  

Thanks!

• Check the last page of the unofficial HCL permanently placed at the top of this forum.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I looked at the last page.  I saw a couple of posts with that nic, but didn't see any failures.  I did read a post on another thread for this specific unit, but all I got from it is that IPS might make it cry... I'm not likely to turn it on, though.

I think I may have missed what you're trying to show me, though.  This is a loaded question, but what do you know that I don't?  

• I don't build PCs, just use them and fix them, so my guess is that I don't know anything! ;-)  I thought you might find something there to inform your choice.

That thread is just a compendium of what people are using.  My Rulz post is information that comes mostly from others and from my own experimentation.  If some models of the Realtek NICs do work well, then I should be more specific just as I am about the Intel NICs.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA