This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM 9.6 to be____________________(plan to develop / beta / killed)

Hello!

Any one who could fill-up the blank in the subject. Please set aside the roadshow promises, I already know the roadshows of the last 2 years which never came up.

Or was the  9.5 unofficial obituary :(

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • UTM 9.6 and 9.7 are in the works.

https://www.avanet.com/en/blog/sophos-roadshow-2018-see-the-future/?utm_source=sophos.avanet.ch&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=domain%20redirects

The question is will the updates continue to be delayed further and further apart or will it be delayed indefinitely. The latest version

9.510-4

hasn't even reached the Up2Date servers yet because of so many people having problems. It feels like a slow burn. 

• Mate i'm sorry but i think that everyone who even barley knew anything about ASG has left by now. Which, i have to admit, is a shame.

Cheers,

m.

• Considering people actually pay for ASG devices still, I don't believe Sophos would "go dark" on them. No EoL (end of life) has been declared yet for any of the SG devices. 

• IF every one left, then it is the time for user's to  look out for alternatives. and IF XG is no where near to alternate after more than 2 years of development what are we expecting out of the wait.

It will be interesting to  know the next best after UTM. So if at all any one shifting then to which technology if not XG?

• Hello Allan,

The same features were part of road shows in 2017, now the link speaks about was in June 2018 and now it's already august 2018, looks like this road show will also remain a just to show, until unless some official response form SOPHOS insiders not partners who are only aware of roadshows.

• TLGSS said:

It will be interesting to  know the next best after UTM. So if at all any one shifting then to which technology if not XG?

Yes, it would be nice to have a list of competitors in the segment of the UTM. At this moment I‘m willing to extend UTM licensing only for a year, not 3 years.

-

• Hey all,

I really don't want to be an "agua fiesta" but honestly we've all been awaiting this or that feature/fixes on ASG for too long... I've lost faith. I've had an ASG setup in my labs that i kept running for my personal browsing and extra professional things, simply because I've liked the SG so much.

Although, I've now moved over to competition (one that develop it's products rather then acquiring them) which i won't name here and really, I'm not looking back. XG was never an alternative to me, simply on personal grounds -- I've never been a fan of either Cyberoam or what it is by now since day one.

regards,
    M.

• I am willing to believe that the delayed release cycle is because Sophos is working much harder on regression testing.   This is all good.

UTM has two competitive difficulties:   (1) a non-traditional architecture for a device that is often used as a firewall, and (2) dependence on a competitor (McAfee) to provide a critical knowledge component.  Consequently, it is inevitable that something else will replace it during your next product refresh cycle.   On the other hand, it is working well for us right now.

UTM's recent quality problems have reminded me of something that I knew from the beginning:   complex products are difficult to debug.   This is another reason that my next products will probably not be all-in-one solutions.

On the other hand, UTM was available at a price that I was able to get approved (just barely), so NOT buying something that was "better" (but more expensive)  would not have accomplished anything.

UTM has taught me a lot about what I want on a whole range of cybersecurity features.   It has kept us safe when huge organizations were wiped out by ransomware.   I have a lot for which to be grateful to this product.

I do not have immediate plans to replace what is working, but I am spending a lot of time thinking about what I want next.   Right now, that thought is mostly focused on email filtering.   My ideal future product uses very different logic than the two spam filter products that I am using now (UTM is secondary, another product is primary).   It will not be an all-in-one device and it will probably be a cloud product using a vendor's proprietary knowledgebase.

• For what it's worth at least for me UTM does exactly what I need. For a home user there really is nothing better. UTM is not perfect but it has been out for so long that I'm sure most of the major security/functionality issues have been solved by now. So by not having releases exactly on time is not disastrous. Plus with new features comes new bugs.

Maybe Sophos is getting ready for the "planned obsolescence" stage for UTM. I hope a developer can prove us wrong.

• DouglasFoster said:

I am willing to believe that the delayed release cycle is because Sophos is working much harder on regression testing.   This is all good.

hopefully this is the case.

DouglasFoster said:

UTM has two competitive difficulties:   (1) a non-traditional architecture for a device that is often used as a firewall, and (2) dependence on a competitor (McAfee) to provide a critical knowledge component.  Consequently, it is inevitable that something else will replace it during your next product refresh cycle.   On the other hand, it is working well for us right now.

UTM's recent quality problems have reminded me of something that I knew from the beginning:   complex products are difficult to debug.   This is another reason that my next products will probably not be all-in-one solutions.

On the other hand, UTM was available at a price that I was able to get approved (just barely), so NOT buying something that was "better" (but more expensive)  would not have accomplished anything.

UTM has taught me a lot about what I want on a whole range of cybersecurity features.   It has kept us safe when huge organizations were wiped out by ransomware.   I have a lot for which to be grateful to this product.

I do not have immediate plans to replace what is working, but I am spending a lot of time thinking about what I want next.   Right now, that thought is mostly focused on email filtering.   My ideal future product uses very different logic than the two spam filter products that I am using now (UTM is secondary, another product is primary).   It will not be an all-in-one device and it will probably be a cloud product using a vendor's proprietary knowledgebase.

I can only fully agree with you. Many manufacturers do not give much detail about their planned developments. Dates are relatively rare. But Sophos's silence is not helping to build confidence that UTM will continue to be considered for new purchases.
    Sophos works very well for us too. Especially the solution with the RED. But as I said, I would only renew my license for 1 year at the moment. I wouldn't have had faith for three years.

Best regards
    Alex

-