This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[SG 430] How do i register my device? & Is it possible to get a trial/evaluation license?

Hello,

I'm a newbie with Sophos devices and i've got the following problem:

I've bought a used SG 430 Rev 1 with UTM 9. I've made a factory reset and have set up the device to the point where I would need to upload a license file.
Before buying an actual license i'd like to test the device, but I'm not sure if there's a way to get a trial/evaluation license.
After some googling, i created an account at the 'Licensing Center' and wanted to register my device in hopes that i may get a trial license there.
I went through the device registration form and have got the following error: Error ID: XG-00101

I googled that and found the following:

XG-00101

Sorry: this serial number is not valid.

Error ID: XG-00101

Tracking ID: [[TRACKING_ID]]. Please make a note of this.

What to do:

If you are trying to register a Sophos SG UTM or Cyberoam UTM device then that must be done directly from the WebAdmin application running on the appliance.

Source: community.sophos.com/.../122496

So, I want to register my device because I can't get past the license screen to the WebAdmin interface,
but to do that i have to register my device at the WebAdmin interface.

Any tips how i should proceed?
Thank you & have a nice day!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hallo and welcome to the UTM Community!

That KnowledgeBase article is about the XG Firewall, not the UTM - two very different Sophos products.

When you do a factory reset or re-image a UTM from ISO, you have a 30-day trial license and that's what you have used thus far to configure the device.  If you look in the 'Management >> Licensing' section, you will see how much time you have remaining.  Your reseller can also provide a trial license for you.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello!

BAlfson said:
    That KnowledgeBase article is about the XG Firewall, not the UTM - two very different Sophos products.

Oh, ok. i see.

BAlfson said:
    When you do a factory reset or re-image a UTM from ISO, you have a 30-day trial license and that's what you have used thus far to configure the device. 

Well, no. I made a factory reset, connected to the device through the web interface and after setting a password (i did this in less than 1 hour) i'm now stuck at the screen where it wants me to upload a *.txt-License file.

BAlfson said:
    If you look in the 'Management >> Licensing' section, you will see how much time you have remaining.

Do you mean the "Management > Licensing"-section in the Web interface of my device ? Because there's no way to skip this licensing screen. I can't access any menus or settings.

Thank you very much!

• This means that your trial license has expired.  You should select a Sophos reseller in your area and ask for a trial license.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Ok thanks!

You wrote:
    > When you do a factory reset or re-image a UTM from ISO, you have a 30-day trial license

I misunderstood that. I thought you meant everytime I'd do a factory reset then i'd have a 30 day trial, but that's not the case.
    Ok, well then i'll contact a sophos reseller.

thank you!