This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Disabled IPv6 to Avoid License Limit Issues: Just Whining About Free Home License Limits

First and foremost, I am grateful to Sophos for allowing me to run their UTM at home at no charge. It is an enlightened policy, and I hope it has worked out well for them. 

That said, I am tired of bumping into license limits with the free home user license. I run a free home license so I have a "reference" system to compare with our paid production UTM in the office. 

The problem is that most of our devices are dual-stack, meaning that they support IPv4 and IPv6. We have several computers, phones, video appliances, an internet-enabled oven (really!), etc. I foresee more IoT devices in our future.

The problem is IPv6. Devices frequently get multiple IPv6 addresses, and that is what bumps us over the limit.

I got fed up, so I disabled IPv6 on the UTM. Let's see if that eliminates the problem.

I would prefer it if Sophos would recognize the impact of IPv6 on license limits, and bump them up accordingly. If 50 licenses is appropriate in an IPv4-only world, then I would suggest bumping the limit to 150 licenses. If Sophos is worried about illegal use of the home license for businesses, then maybe it could count IPv6 licenses separately, or recognize which devices are using both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. Something, anything, so I can run dual-stack IPv4 and IPv6 again.

Thanks for reading this whining complaint. 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.