This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Software UTM (Home) hardware spec

I have been using UTM for a while and it has performed well.  I used a 150M/15 conection with a 8/1 backup originally and saw throughput over 120M routinely.  On the same hardware I have changed to three ADSL connections 8/1, 5/1 and 3/1 and obviously the hardware copes fine.

I have the option of a 1000/1000 connection in a few months and wondered what spec of hardware I should use, choosing low energy components where possible.  Does anyone have any relevant experience to share ?

Thanks in advance. 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Using one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Lan-Intel-core-I5-5250U-Home-Router-Qotom-Q355G4-8G-RAM-32G-SSD-fanless/263596333613 .  UTM is installed under esxi with 4GB of ram.  Even 3GB would be fine.

Intrusion prevention is disabled (via exceptions) for certain tasks to benefit from full bandwidth (att fiber gigabit).

Typical idle power draw is ~32 watts per the UPS. This includes the following

* esxi box running utm, freepbx, and small ups monitoring appliance
    * Netgear R7000 in AP mode with xwrt firmware (for wifi and vlan)
    * Obi200
    * Lucent G-010G-A ONT (fiber <> ethernet bridge)
    * 120mm usb powered fan to keep the qotom box cool (plugged into one of those 120V > 2A usb adapters
    * 5 port dgs-1005G dumb switch with 2 ports in use.

I did have the att residential gateway connected too at one point, that adds another 8W.  For the last 2 weeks it's been eliminated using the dumb switch method.

When running speed tests that saturate the connection, power use shoots up to 40watts.

Considering an average 36watts, and a per KWH rate of 11¢, this comes out to roughly $35 per year to power.

• Jay Jay - Thank you.

The one requirement I didnt mention was the need to have the ISP supplied static on the UTM;  Does that happen with the Lucent bridge ?

• I'm not sure.  I don't subscribe to any static ip's.

I first connect the cable from the ONT and the provided gateway's wan port to ports on a dumb switch. Once broadband light is solid (indicating it has connectivity) I disconnect the gateway entirely and connect utm's wan port cable in its place.  This allows my to bypass the att gateway entirely.

UTM wan is set to dhcp.  So long as a dhcp event occurs every 2 weeks and nothing is disconnected, the ONT remains authenticated.

I suppose this may work with static ip's too but not something I can test. 

• I'm not sure.  I don't subscribe to any static ip's.

I first connect the cable from the ONT and the provided gateway's wan port to ports on a dumb switch. Once broadband light is solid (indicating it has connectivity) I disconnect the gateway entirely and connect utm's wan port cable in its place.  This allows my to bypass the att gateway entirely.

UTM wan is set to dhcp.  So long as a dhcp event occurs every 2 weeks and nothing is disconnected, the ONT remains authenticated.

I suppose this may work with static ip's too but not something I can test. 

Children
No Data