This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Software UTM (Home) hardware spec

I have been using UTM for a while and it has performed well.  I used a 150M/15 conection with a 8/1 backup originally and saw throughput over 120M routinely.  On the same hardware I have changed to three ADSL connections 8/1, 5/1 and 3/1 and obviously the hardware copes fine.

I have the option of a 1000/1000 connection in a few months and wondered what spec of hardware I should use, choosing low energy components where possible.  Does anyone have any relevant experience to share ?

Thanks in advance. 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • You have many options here. Since you will be getting a 1000/1000 connection you will definitely need hardware fast enough to handle that speed without being bottlenecked by the intrusion prevention system or a slow CPU. The CPU you should be looking at is an Intel i5 or possibly a Celeron J1900.

The most important aspect is that you choose something with compatible NICs, preferably Intel, such as the Intel i211-AT. The qotom devices are highly recommended and if you purchase from Aliexpress you can customize your unit with the correct size hard drive and RAM that you need. I'd go with 8 Gb of RAM since it's fairly cheap. A 64Gb or 120Gb SSD should be plenty for the UTM.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/QOTOM-Q355G4-2017-New-fanless-X86-4-LAN-Micro-Computer-I5-5250U-Dual-core-onboard-1080P/32800711474.html

The other way to go is by building a mini ITX system using parts from a site like Jetway but stick to the embedded motherboards with Intel I211-AT NICs such as this one.

• You have many options here. Since you will be getting a 1000/1000 connection you will definitely need hardware fast enough to handle that speed without being bottlenecked by the intrusion prevention system or a slow CPU. The CPU you should be looking at is an Intel i5 or possibly a Celeron J1900.

The most important aspect is that you choose something with compatible NICs, preferably Intel, such as the Intel i211-AT. The qotom devices are highly recommended and if you purchase from Aliexpress you can customize your unit with the correct size hard drive and RAM that you need. I'd go with 8 Gb of RAM since it's fairly cheap. A 64Gb or 120Gb SSD should be plenty for the UTM.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/QOTOM-Q355G4-2017-New-fanless-X86-4-LAN-Micro-Computer-I5-5250U-Dual-core-onboard-1080P/32800711474.html

The other way to go is by building a mini ITX system using parts from a site like Jetway but stick to the embedded motherboards with Intel I211-AT NICs such as this one.

Children
No Data