This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Where can I get a new UTM from in under a week?

Ok, it's my fault for ignoring the 1 month notice on expiry but in my defence I didn't expect that the VPNs would expire with the subscription.

So now I have less than a week to replace the UTM 120 with a new SG125.

Can anyone suggest a cheap source for a new SG125 with basic licence please?

Apparently the UTM 120 we have cannot be renewed, hence the need for new hardware too.

Any advice on sourcing a new unit is appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I went the same route last year and know the attitude of these sophos partners.

We had an UTM220 with the sole purpose of connecting a branch office via a RED device.

When our network security license expired there was no way to prolong it - leaving the branch offline.

Only offer was an €4k replacement of the hardware and the license within one month.

We finally ended buying some Cisco VPN devices for the leased line (making sure they will not expire) and throwing out Sophos.

If you want to stick with Sophos your best bet is fully resetting the device and using the initial 30 days grace period.

This might give you enough time to aquire new hardware and license and swappint them out.

Depending on the complexity of your configuration it might require some effort to reproduce it.

PS: This thread has some more interesting thougts about the situation.

• Sorry, but I can't read/hear it anymore...

I don't understand the returning bashing against the UTM network protection disabling VPN capabilities... just because it isn't so with other products? Part of the UTM network protection is VPN and that includes all types of VPN, RED too.

If I buy a product I have to read the "small printed" (we say Kleingedrucktes here) and one thing of that is understanding what I get for my money with subscription 1 or 2... If you are searching for a VPN only device with firewall functions the UTM isn't the right product. And it won't become just because of complaining...

P.S. the XG series has VPN in the base license but I'm sure someone complains about that it isn't covering the RED functions (where still the network protection is needed) or that Heartbeat is only included in network protection. They decided so, it's your choice at a customer to use it "as is" or looking for a better fitting product for your needs.

Gruß / Regards,

Kevin
    Sophos CE/CA (XG+UTM), Gold Partner

• I'm not talking about money.

We were well willing to pay the €800, get a new licence via mail and add it to the device - as we did a year before. This can be done within minutes.

But the partner was unwilling/unable to issue a new license.

Instead we should be forced to buy new (expensive) hardware and have them install it at both sides.

The partner had no hardware on stock so this would have taken almost a month for delivery and installation - leaving the branch offline for this time.

Fortunately another supplier had two adequate cisco vpn devices on stock and could help out within a day.

• The ASG120 goes end of life in a few months. It was possible to order monthly licenses for a small period of time but your partner is right when he says he cannot extend the 120's license any more.

But normally he would have been able to install a demo license for 30 days so that your network would not stop working just because of delivery issues. Might not be the best partner and I think you're lucky to get away from him. But for Sophos' product lifetime he is unresponsible.

Gruß / Regards,

Kevin
    Sophos CE/CA (XG+UTM), Gold Partner

• 100% agreement with Kevin.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Reply Children
  • Hello, thanks for all your comments, I just wanted to update this.

Disappointing customer services from the Sophos partner on this one.
    I spoke to them a week before the licence ran out and we discussed the issue with them promising to get a new unit delivered before the old one expired.
    In the end, whilst they messed about with pro forma invoices and getting me to sign and return their forms in triplicate the device expired.
    So a complete branch office of 5 staff were without phones and computers until they eventually sent me a temporary 7 day licence (delivery licence)
    Which of course still wasn't enough time, so I had to get another 7 days temp licence before the new UTM arrived.

Now we are sorted for another 3 years.

Note to self: Don't ignore 30 day notices, you may need all 30 days to renew a licence.