This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No multi core support for used hardware?

Dear community,

after years using my old VIA Eden 1 Ghz Single Core CPU/Board with only 1GB of RAM,  it was really time to upgraded the hardware. So i bought a Gigabyte GA-J3455N Board/CPU combo with an onboard Celeron J3455 quad core CPU, integrated GPU and 8 GB RAM.

I downloaded the latest software appliance iso image (asg-9.506-2.1.iso) from Sophos, burned it on a DVD (got it not work on a USB drive) and tried to install the UTM yesterday.
Unfortunately it seems the UTM does not support multiple cores or especially this quad core CPU and/or chipset.
I only got the the installer to run or installed appliance to work, when the kernel boots up with the option "nosmp" or deactivated other 3 cores in the BIOS.
I attached some screenshots from several tries to start the installed appliance with different multi core bios settings. If only one core is enabled in BIOS or "nosmp" defined, the installer works fine and i am able to finish and use the installation.

Is there way, to get my hardware work well with the Sophos UTM and all cores?

By the way, i had no problems with other OSs like Debian 9, OpenSuse Tumbleweed, Windows 10 or even an old version of Parted Magic (3.10.xx) Live distro.

Kind regards
Guido Conrad

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hallo Guido and welcome to the UTM Community!

You might try a Google on site:community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/f nosmp

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA