This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos UTM 110/120 Firewall Revision appliance

hi 

i want to buy Sophos UTM 110/120 Firewall Revision appliance for home using

can i use home utm lic with this appliance?

thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • If you install with an asg-<preferred version>.iso on it there should be no problem. https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/utm-downloads.aspx

The ssi-....isos require a "real" license to work. There exists a workaround to use a home license on hardware installed with ssi-...iso, but you don't miss anything by using the software image on a UTM120 (other thing with 2xx and upwards models since they have a display).

Depending on your internet connection you should consider using a SF-PC with stronger hardware than a UTM120 has.

Gruß / Regards,

Kevin
    Sophos CE/CA (XG+UTM), Gold Partner

• i working now with utm 9 virtual appliance on lenovo m72 tower,works fine..dual core procc works fine with 4 ram

but i want appliance:)somthing small and comfortable,so i wnat to buy asg120 appliance from e-bay(used) or to buy intel nuc with i3-i5 cpu and install utm home on it

this is some info tha i got from seller :

"

Technical Specifications:
    Appliance Sophos UTM 110/120
    Security applications
    Essential Network Firewall Included
    UTM Network Protection Optional subscription
    UTM Email Protection Optional subscription
    UTM Web Protection Optional subscription
    UTM Webserver Protection Optional subscription
    UTM Wireless Protection Optional subscription
    UTM Endpoint Protection Coming soon
    Capacity
    Maximum licensed users (UTM 110/UTM120) 10 / unrestricted
    Recommended users* 1-10/11-80
    Firewall throughput 1.8Gbps
    IPS throughput 240Mbps
    VPN throughput 180Mbps
    Antivirus throughput 70Mbps
    UTM throughput 45Mbps
    "
    i have more than 10 devices at home(tv's,comp's,cell's...)
    the question is if i could use free lic'reinstall software on it..?or the better way to buy somting like intel nuc with 2 lan ports an wifi port included..
  • Don't give too much on the throughput values, the user/device count is much more relevant. It depends a bit on which modules you activate on the UTM, but in most cases you can take your device number and take it x 1,2 - 1,5. Thats the real count of "users" the UTM is designed for (UTM sizing guide).

If seen only from tech level, a UTM120 will be a downgrade in speed compared to your actual configuration. A UTM120 has 2GB RAM, your config 4G, rev5 has an older Atom cpu. In my opinion no benefit in the appliance...

I run my UTM home on a Celeron J1900 board with 2 onboard NICs and 2 PCIe NICs, 4GB RAM. Thats a configuration I could recommend (apart from the PCIe NIC) for home usage. Yes it has more energy costs than a UTM120 (I should test it some time...), but the speed difference is uncomparable.

As I said above, a home license can be used with an ASG ISO. The hardware appliances from Sophos can be installed both with ASG / SSI ISO but come normally with a SSI Image for the hardware appliances. A home license can only be enabled with a ASG image, not on an appliance running with an SSI image.

Gruß / Regards,

Kevin
    Sophos CE/CA (XG+UTM), Gold Partner

• Ilya, the top thread in this forum is an unofficial compatibility list.  You might want to check the posts from the last few months.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA