This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Hitron CODA-4582 can I literally just use this modem and its ports and obtain gigabit speeds or should I build a router .

Subject says it all .... Hitron CODA-4582 can I literally just use this modem and its ports and obtain gigabit speeds ? 

I get the purpose and the benefits of the utm apps including security but . speed alone not thinking security etc can I literally just use the hardware my isp has provided and get my 940 or so speed that i've confirmed outside of my lan across all ports using there hardware or does this hardware only ensure this speed on the wan side ? Example just using this hardware and connecting a few pc's using the hardware dhcp will i still obtain wan speed or do I in fact need to build my own capable router and user a proper switch on the lan side to maintain the wan speeds I know  I am already getting ? 

I have a super micro d525 board from a while ago but am realizing this is a paper weight with sophos and gigabit and that at least an i3 with single core clock speeds close to 4 ghz is necessary for all features and 0 hiccups as well as dedicated intel nics . 

Thank you 

-Nick  

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Sorry, Nick, but I don't think we're getting your question.  Are you asking how much power it will take to get a gigabit?  If so, the answer is that there's no processor fast enough to give you a gigabit for a single connection.  When using Snort (IPS), you probably can get a total of a gigabit with four people downloading through a UTM with a 3+ GHz quad-core i5.  If you search here, that's what you'll see.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the response , I’m just wondering if I should build a Sophos utm for my gigabit internet or if the modem / router that the isp has offered would still handle the job fine not considering security but solely just factoring speed .
  • If you don't want the protection of antivirus and Intrusion Prevention (Snort), I guess there's little point in adding a UTM, Nick.  I'd spend the money on taking the wife out on a date. [;)]

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Reply Children
No Data