This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Purpose behind .plx processes

Hello,

I am looking for documentation that tells me what each .plx function I see in Sophos UTM log files does. I want to valdiate which .plx functions change the firewall config. Some function names are more self explanatory than others. For example:

confd.plx

backup.plx

mdw.plx

auisys.plx

There are quite a few others.

Thank you,

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi David, and welcome to the UTM Community!

You won't find such a document.  WebAdmin is a GUI that manipulates databases of objects and settings.  A single change there can cause the Configuration Daemon to rewrite hundreds of lines of the code used to run the UTM.

Beyond that, let us know what problem you're trying to solve.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks for the reply Bob. I am looking for possible triggers for configuration events. For example, I have the following event:

11 17 2017 04:18:03 10.10.10.10 <SYSD:INFO> 2017:11:17-04:18:03 hostname confd[2820]: I main::top-level:557() => id="310c" severity="info" sys="System" sub="confd" name="node changed" node="customization->epp->last_updated" value="1510892273" oldvalue="1509422724" user="system" srcip="127.0.0.1" sid="wRZAkKhhgdFmYshqLDRy" facility="system" client="mdw.plx" pid="11244"

With no users logged on at the time I would like to know what changed. I suspected if I knew what "mdw.plx" function did, I would have a better idea of what was changing. This example appears to be a timestamp change. There are other more nebulous changes that are difficult to discern. Thank you.

Dave

• It looks like there was an update to EndPoint Protection (epp) by the system using MiddleWare (mdw).  You can check those logs and the Up2Date log to see what was updated.  My guess would be a regular pattern update which you will see in the Up2Date log.  I think these are details you can save until later to learn.  I would start with learning how to read other logs first:

Packetfilter logfiles on the Sophos UTM
    A Guide to Logfiles and Output

Also, see the Rulz and Doug Foster's take on some of them, READ ME FIRST: UTM Architecture.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Reply Children
No Data