This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Request for a Roadmap from Sophos for further UTM Development

Since development seems to stall right now on the UTM I would like to ask Sophos for a roadmap for their current UTM 9.x 

Most Important would be an official answer to: - Has Sophos stopped further development of the UTM and put it in maintance mode (security patches only) ? Will there be a 9.6? I dont want information about any XG stuff, i know you promote it as the future of UTM but its not there yet. So please stop trying to advertise it to me for now.

In the past features like lets encrypt and proper ipv6 implementation have been requested. 

If you look at the TOP features requested you'll notice there are some clever things asked:

https://ideas.sophos.com/forums/17359-sg-utm/filters/top

I would add:

- FIX Communication with the community on current development / roadmap of UTM. Most of us are PAYING customers in a corporate enviroment trying to plan out the next 3 years (or more)

- FIX IPv6 Implementation, redo the current system in place. There are requests all over the place (Not working at all, only working on moonlight, Having to Set up FW Rules to allow Site2Site over V6 wtf)

- Remove IPv6 to count as additional protected IPs. 50 IP Home users and corporate are quickly running out of IPs to protect because devices "block" up to 4 IPs due to IPv6 enabled

- Ability to create Virtual Interfaces for Routing Purposes

- Add Vxlan Support (you CAN use it via CLI)

- Add AES-NI Support for RED and OpenVPN Tunnels (OpenVPN supports this!!!, not sure how it would be handled with RED)

- Update Application Database for Application Control

- UPDATE AND FIX Dyndns Implementation. Also give us the Ability to use DynDNS on additional IPv6 Adresses that might get change via ipv6 renumbering.

- Give Ability to do OpenVPN with 3rd Party without needing community provides scripts to convert vpn configurations

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • +1

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• shameless bump

---

Sophos UTM 9.3 Certified Engineer

• Hi Ben,

there was a rumor earlier about UTM 10 at least before eol, but not seen any real details. I would expect that to be in the reseller stuff?

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• our partner says he doesn't know anything (biggest or one of the biggest platinum status partner in germany)

as we are considering buying a 3rd licence (software) and trying to plan out what to do, we are looking for some information.

---

• Hi Ben,

that is very bad news. You could try a pm to alant or micheal dunn.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• ya, well i ask here, this is their (sophos) official community forum. I opted out of a certified architect course because i don't want our business to burn money, few others also waiting on something official before investing further.

Our partner saying that they dont know anything thats coming could also mean they are under a NDA (probably) and not allowed to say i guess.

---

• Support forum between users like you and me, but not Sophos staff officially.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• bump

Entire UTM branch seems to be radio silent for 2 month now.

9.6? lets encrypt? anyone? wait for cebit?

---

• There are many legal issues about what a vendor can say about not-yet-real products.   This information requires a non-disclosure agreement and a bunch of legal disclaimers.  At least it did when I worked for a technology product company in the U.S.

It has to be arranged through your sales team, and the vendor nay not be willing to do what you want.  Usually teserved for the biggest sales opportunities.

• the last road-map produced by Sophos is now 2 years old, and they put it in the Marketing section of the Partner Portal (not sure why), they haven't produced anything further.

Although when I did press the SE's and my account manager both eluded to more in the pipeline, although they could not provide any dates or modules that were being developed.

the only thing they did confirm was that IKEv2 support is due out (although a little moot now that IKEv3 has been 'rubber stamped')

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!