This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Looking to learn how to configure my firewall. Details in thread

I've been using a UTM server for a couple years now, but it's always been configured by my friend who has an IT background. I just feel like a burden to him whenever I have a problem that needs resolved, and I feel frustrated because I cannot fix it.

As an example of what I need to configure: I play Overwatch, and for some reason the in game voice feature is being blocked, I need to figure out how to white list that part as I can speak in game if I just hook up straight to my modem.

I have access to the web admin section of my UTM of course, I just don't know what to do. Is there any resources I can study? I'm sorry for such a newbie question, I just need to pull my head out of the sand and take control of my server instead of relying on a good friend and pestering him. Thanks in advance.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi

Welcome to the Community!

We offer a great resource in Sophos called Professional Services. They help in the deployment stage and will happily explain how to configure your firewall based on your environment. To get in touch with them you may contact your Sophos Account Manager or our Sales Team

To steer you towards the direction of what you are trying to achieve, you may look at your firewall logs as your testing to see if any services/ports/destinations are being blocked. To enable logging, you must mark the checkbox on the firewall rule. These ports will then need to be open on your outbound firewall rule or web filter rule (depending if you are using your web browser to play or not). If IPS is enabled, disable and see if that works.

You can also use the Help section on the UTM by pressing the '?' on the top of your WebAdmin. This will populate our Help Guide. Thanks and hope that helps.

-Karlos

Karlos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.
  • Also, read everything in the wiki.  It has limited but valuable content right now.   I have submitted some additional content for review, so check there occssionally to see if anything new is available.

• Karlos, he's a home user.

You can look for related blocks in the Web Filtering log file, but I bet #1 in Rulz is what you need.  Any luck with that?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA