This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does Sophos Red 15 support PPPoE?

Does Sophos Red 15 support PPPoE connection?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • Or a router that is doing the PPPoE thing on RED's WAN Interface.
    If you ask me, personally, I'd always prefer a SG115 with NP (I'm not a RED friend ;-) )

Gruß / Regards,

Kevin
    Sophos CE/CA (XG+UTM), Gold Partner

• hi Kev,

just out of interest (and not taking this too far of topic), what is the difference in price between a RED and a small SG?

• Hi Louis,

I'm not in the sales staff, but a RED15 lies at ~300€ (ontime), a SG105 starts around 590€ ( onetime + 100€ yearly), SG115 800€ + 130€ yearly.
    Surely a difference, but in my opinion those are "peanuts" as Mr. Ackermann from Deutsche Bank used to say.

I'm a big fan of REDs as homeoffice devices ("here, plug this cable in your FritzBox or whatever and this cable into your laptop" - plug & play so to say), but for connecting remote sites I prefer UTMs since their beaviour is more reliable and troubleshooting is much easier. If the remote site grows a UTM can be easily upgraded with WLAN, WEB, whatever. A RED is a RED and will only ever be a RED.

Gruß / Regards,

Kevin
    Sophos CE/CA (XG+UTM), Gold Partner

• I concur Kev. That would be my exact take on it too.

• For a small office (not much more than 5 people), the RED 15 works if there's not a really fast WAN connection.  Beyond that, I prefer the SG 115 over the RED 50.  It's more flexible and less expensive for six years if you consider the extended warranty costs for the RED 50.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA