This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Generic rule settings for video streaming devices / services like Netflix?

Hello,

I have been working with UTM / Astaro since like version 7.3. I tried to switch to XG last fall when my computer running UTM died and thought to start over with XG. Which requires much learning to navigate and it still is missing some features we have all come to love in UTM. I have been away from UTM for amlost a year and did keep my notes and many configuration examples but can't seem to find my notes for video straming to bluray players and other devices that can connect to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon prime and so forth.  I am now building my new Sophos UTM 9.5 system on a computer with the home license.

I can't remember if it was the virus scanning, intrusion detection or what other function to diable to allow the Netflix, Amazon Prime and other streaming services to come through.

From my Linux computer via the web browsers I can stream my Amazon Prime movies and shows, and the HBO, and my Netflix just fine. My bluray player devices with the streaming services built in will not stream the movies and shows. It connects just fine to the services (Netflix) and I can view and select my selections, just when I go to play the movie or show it fails.

Chad

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi and welcome back,

please provide a list of the functions you have enabled?

As a start check that the web proxy has bypass for streaming video ticked. Then do a search of the forums for netflix, you will find a number of threads on the subject.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hello,  yes I have streaming settings checked to bypass content scanning for streaming content.

basically my system is as basic and out of the box install as you can get.

What functions under what listing? Firewall rules, web protection?

Looks like the machine I am trying to get a basic config up and going on is having issues, and web browser just up and stops responding, no errors or pop ups and have to refresh link and log back in. Well I guess when I get this back up on a better system I can try to mess with it.

Else I will have to find a person in the Quad Cities are USA to pay and set it up the way I want.   What ever happen to the nice wizard that use to set the most basic of settings up and going. I ran through the wizard but it failed to create any rules. Less that was the computer crapping out before it could finish the wizard.

Chad

• Hi Chad,

sounds like you box is not very stable and needs investigation.

The basic setup wizard at build time will provide you with internet access.

Basic rules are

1/. internal network -> any port -> any -> allow ->log

2/. NAT internal network -> External interface

3/. add internal network to your DNS entry.

Please post some log entries of what is failing.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Thank you, I will try that on Tuesday on my day off. Since I did not set or create any NAT rules, I am sure that is my problem. Not sure if I added internal network to DNS, I think I did not, and that too then is the issue, between the NAT and DNS, make sense now.  Thank you so much for them pointers. I was having hardware issues with the computer i started with, and today loaded up a power house server to get settings figured out on. I have the Internal network ->DNS -> Any firewall rule which is first.

But under DNS section I did not add anything, so that might be an issue, For the DNS, did you mean as the firewall rule for DNS or another area for DNS to configure?  I know the NAT is an issue because I have no NAT rules under the NAT section. I know how to set up my DNAT and SNAT for my port forwarding when time comes, but not the initial NAT settings. Did not add that to my old UTM notes, the setup wizard did all that for me. I literally ran from 7.3 to like 9.3 and never had to reload fresh. Always had a current backup file to recover from. But do not have that anymore and wanted a fresh clean rebuild since so much has changed, and did not want to carry over old crap.

I only have the firewall configured with 5 rules. Under current system configuration everything is red / not configured except the firewall, witch is active.

All my firewall rules are set to log as well.  I think my biggest issue right now is the NAT, then with out proper DNS config, that is the next. I am slowly printing out sections of the 700 page manual to brush up. I am still a paper and book kind of guy over digital.

Thank you so much for them starter points. I am sure in future it will also help others. ( I got real lazy just reloading from the backup file when I had them, and when the wizard utility got you up and going to begin with.)

I will post back when I get things going. 

Chad

• Everything is up and working, below listed aremy settings / rules.

So from a clean install of UTM 9.5x...  It will run through the wizard but it never configures anything for me. So when you do log in to UTM, all you have is the local / LAN interface established so you can log in and configure it.

SO log in, next you need to configure your WAN port.  (Typically I use ETH1 as LAN or internal and ETH0 as WAN or Internet)

1. Configure WAN interface

2.Go to Network Protection,  -> NAT -> Masquerading and create the rule.

Interface -> internal (what ever you are using for LAN interface.  -> ETH0 -> WAN

3. Network Services DHCP -> interface internal -> set range, start, end, next add DNS and gateway  (basically fill in the requires information.

4. Basic Firewall rules, these use to be automatically set up by the wizard back in the 7.3 / 8.x days. Create these Firewall rules:

Internal Network  (IN) -> DNS -> Any

IN -> Websurfing -> any

IN -> email messaging -> any

IN -> Instant Messaging -> any

IN -> Terminal Applications -> any

When you look at the Current System Configuration on the dash board, you will only have the firewall green and all other listings will be red or not configured.

With the above set, you should be able to go do and use the Internet.  Again most basic to get up and going and then from hear you can start to lock down the system and add functions and services. 

Hope this helps others, Several people gave me tips on this basic config, and I thank everyone who assisted me.

Thank you,

Chad Pauli