This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Duplicate SG 135 Configuration Using a Virtual Machine

Our SG 135 bricked itself after performing an update and a restart.  So I am scrambling to put in a temporary fix while I go the RMA process to replace the SG 135.

I have an older server with 2 NICs however, on the SG 135 there were 4 NICs in use.  Will this work?

- load VMware ESXi 5.5 onto the old server
- config ESXi to use both NICs using VMXNET3
- install a VM using ASG 9.4, configure the VM to have 4 virtual NICs
- restore the most current UTM configuration from the backup
- connect one NIC to the ISP and the second NIC to a VLAN enabled smart switch

Thanks,
David

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Update - It worked... beyond my expectations.

Went with ESXi 6.0
    Enabled All VLANs on the ESXi host
    Configured 8 VMXNET3 NICs for the ASG VM
    Connected one physical NIC to the ISP router and the other to the smart switch

The ASG LAN and WAN ports fired up!  Needed a temp license from Sophos which they were great in helping with.  Then the email began to flow again.

On the smart switch, remaining connections needed some config changes to manage the VLANs plus in the UTM, I added a VLAN to a separate subnet that connects to another external connection.

I have to say, I am impressed with how the ESXi virtual switch handled the network connections.

The replacement SG 135 has arrived and I am prepping it to get in place later this afternoon.

Nice to know I have a backup solution if it happens again.

• Excellent recovery, David - welcome to the UTM Community!

If anyone else has an r1 SG 125 or SG 135, you should consider either purchasing a hot-standby unit (no extra licensing cost) or begging your reseller to ask Sophos for a pre-emptive RMA.  You can see the revision number of your SG 125/135 on the second line of the response to the version command at the command line.  To get more information, Google:

site:community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/f failure 125 135 SOC

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Excellent recovery, David - welcome to the UTM Community!

If anyone else has an r1 SG 125 or SG 135, you should consider either purchasing a hot-standby unit (no extra licensing cost) or begging your reseller to ask Sophos for a pre-emptive RMA.  You can see the revision number of your SG 125/135 on the second line of the response to the version command at the command line.  To get more information, Google:

site:community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/f failure 125 135 SOC

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data