This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wireless Hotspot Device Exeption

Hello,

I have set up Sophos UTM  9.411-3. I have connected it to a TP-Link Access point and have set up an Internal wireless network & Guest Hotspot network. Both work fine and the hotspot webpage works when users connect to the guest network.

However i have some devices (games consoles, mobile phones etc) which i want to be connected to the network all the time but not on the internal network. How would i do this?

Many Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi, Philip, and welcome to the UTM Community!

I think you haven't gotten an answer because it's not clear exactly what you're asking...

"i have some devices (games consoles, mobile phones etc) which i want to be connected to the network all the time but not on the internal network."

By that do you mean that you want those devices to be able to connect via WiFi to the Internet?  Are any (like the game consoles) connected via Ethernet cable to your internal network?  Can you add another Ethernet NIC to your device running UTM?

"Internal wireless network & Guest Hotspot network."

By that, do you mean that the TP-Link AP has the capability of two (and only two) separate WiFi SSIDs/networks and that you have bridged your Internal network with the Internal wireless network?  How does the TP-Link separate the traffic - using VLANs?  If so, what VLAN tags are you using?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks for your reply Bob,

Yes, i would like to connect these devices wirelessly to the WAN without connecting to Internal or requiring a code because of the hotspot.

No the TP-Link has the capability of up to 4 SSID's. Traffic for internal wireless & guest wireless is separated via VLANS. Internal is VLAN 43 and Guest is VLAN 44.

Many Thanks

• Hey Philip.

It's fairly simple, actually. Create another VLAN interface on Sophos UTM and another SSID on TP-LINK bound to the same VLAN. Then configure DHCP server, firewall rules and web protection profiles as required, much like you have for your internal network. Also, don't forget to create a masquerade NAT to the new VLAN.

Regards,

Giovani

• Hello Giovani,

Thank you for the response. I too thought this would work! However when I set up another port group on VMWare ESXI with another vlan number and added the NIC to sophos I lost all communication. I had to plug directly into the firewall to get into WebAdmin. It appears that an error occurs on the WAN interface. After looking in the logs I can see sophos is complaining of a Configuration change.

Many thanks

• I found a similar thread with the same issues regarding addition of NICS

community.sophos.com/.../vlan-problem-on-virtual-utm-setup-on-esxi-6

• It was working before, right? You already had three interfaces, one for WAN with no VLAN tags and two for LAN and Guest, with VLAN tags, right?

Perhaps your interfaces got reordered when you added another VLAN interface on the VM. It used to be a problem with ESXi. I don't know if this still happens as I have very little contact with ESXi.

Check this and see if it helps you.

Regards - Giovani

• It was working before, right? You already had three interfaces, one for WAN with no VLAN tags and two for LAN and Guest, with VLAN tags, right?

Perhaps your interfaces got reordered when you added another VLAN interface on the VM. It used to be a problem with ESXi. I don't know if this still happens as I have very little contact with ESXi.

Check this and see if it helps you.

Regards - Giovani

Children