This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Setting Up a Dedicated VPN Connection for Privacy (After US Congress Just Dismantled ISP Privacy)

In the US, Congress voted to allow ISPs to record and sell your personal internet activities. Here two examples, but a quick web search will reveal more:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/28/technology/house-internet-privacy-repeal/index.html

www.eff.org/.../congress-sides-cable-and-telephone-industry

Does anyone have their UTM configured to route all its internet traffic through a VPN tunnel for privacy reasons? If so, how did you configure your UTM and the termination on the other side?

I have a VPS that I could configure as a VPN. Here are my questions:

* Which VPN protocol would you use? Considerations include getting the best internet throughput, the workload on the UTM, etc. 

* How would you configure the UTM so that it automatically sets up the VPN tunnel at startup, and automatically reloads the VPN tunnel if it gets dropped for some reason?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I have a client that has a vacation home in Mexico.  He wanted to be able to surf everywhere from there in case the Mexican government began filtering Internet access.  We chose to do this with a RED tunnel so that we could use Multipath rules and QoS.  You should test both with compression on and off to see whether your devices are powerful enough to make compression an advantage.

The situation isn't any different than it's been, nor would the new rules have made any difference in what your ISP can know about you - they just would have had to make it a part of their terms of service and disclose it to you. The only real difference is that you're now conscious of the extent to which our lives are an open book.

Two years ago, I decided to get a new kitchen faucet.  I looked at many different ones online over a period of three days.  Even three months after I bought it, I was still seeing faucet ads in Facebook and the free solitaire app I played.  If you use Google, shop online or at Walmart, follow people on LinkedIn or Facebook, etc., you are already a known quantity.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing this, just saying that there's not much one can do about the overall issue.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA