This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos.com Download very slow

Hey,

if I remember correctly, I had also pretty slow download rates at your servers in the past... Are there general problems with the servers or is it normal?

This is a problem, when it´s urgent.....

Regards

Sebastian

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • I just did a test and I'm getting MB/s rather than kB/s from downloads.sophos.com...

First thought would be this could be location specific; either where you are in the world or your local network download speed.  If you run a general internet speed test with a service like http://www.speedtest.net/ what kind of speeds does it report?  For comparison, I just did one and it said...

I guess I could test by connecting to a VPN that routes via Germany, but I'm not sure what else I could do to repro the issue.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Communities Moderator, SOPHOS
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Maybe it´s kind of a peering problem, slow link from my provider. That can be. My line ís good, but maybe we have problems with this destination network/server. But that would need some investigations by the providers.... The good thing is, I do not need it that often....

• It certainly shows a smaller transfer rate if I deliberately VPN via Germany...

I get a bit of packet loss too but that could be due to the VPN service.

Do you know the server you are connecting to?  Can you check and let me know?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi,

this is the server (that also served my request last time), seems to be a different one than yours:

• Hmmm.  Thought it would be different as it's all load balanced etc. globally.  However I forced downloads.sophos.com to that IP address using my host file...

#testing slow downloads
    178.79.251.10 downloads.sophos.com
    178.79.251.10 sophos-1.hs.llnwd.net
    178.79.251.10 downloads.sophos.com.cn.lldns.net

...but I still get a higher transfer rate...

I think moving to a different internet provider as a test would be interesting.  Not sure of your options locally but wifi to LAN; compare business to home; test from a friend's /colleague's connection or local coffee shop near by.  Something like that.  [:S]

- - - - - - - - - - - -

• Same here,

Germany, Bavaria, Nuernberg, Provider T-COM, no special FW (up to now) just a AVM FritzBox Router... poor download with Chrome, Edge, IE, FF Browser.

Rest of the Network gets 5MB/s Downloads.

Cheers,

Alex