This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Locking down access/internet access using mac address control

Hi there.

Relatively new to Sophos UTM but I have noticed a mac address list in one of the options.

What I am looking to try is locking down the ability to browse the network devices/surf the internet using a mac address list.

Is this possible???

My current setup is a hp microserver gen8 with 8gb ram running Sophos UTM, another microserver running hyperv/AD/DNS.

I have 2 unifi AC Pro access points at my own house and another at my partners house with a vpn tunnel and a draytek 2830 at the other end.

The other end currently use the DNS put out by the Sophos in order to resolve the AD server and login.

Thanks.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply
  • Hi, Andrew, and welcome to the UTM Community!

As Sachin said, the answer to your question is "no."  However, you can achieve the result you want in a different way...

In the 'Advanced' section of your DHCP Server definition, select 'Clients with static mappings only' and then create a Static Assignment for each of the devices that should be allowed to have an IP address.  Remove "Internal (Network)" from 'Allowed Networks' in 'Web Filtering' and add these IP addresses.  In 'Firewall', create a firewall rule blocking 'Internal (Network) -> Web Surfing -> Internet'.  Refer to #2 in Rulz to understand why this won't block traffic handled by the Web Filtering Proxy.

Is that what you were trying to accomplish?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data