This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Active Directory Domain Join

Hello,

Recently I received some help, for which I thank this forum. I started building my network all over again and decided to move on in an offline (host only) situation. I have installed the Sophos UTM in VMWare Workstation, using the host-only adapter. In my virtual environment I created 2 internal networks:

- Internal

- ServerNetwork

I can do an NSlookup, and I think DNS is working good. When I add a new computer to the domain, I do get a welcome message saying "welcome to the domain blabla". But a few seconds after that, I get the error "changing the primary domain dns name of this computer to "" failed. The name will remain "domainname.xx.xx". The error was: The RPC server is unavailable.

When putting all (any) services open from the client to the domain controller, I don't get the error. But ofcourse I want to open as little ports possible. I have read many things about this and as a test I have tried opening the following (default Sophos UTM) services from the client to the domain controller:

CIFS
HTTPS
KERBEROS
LDAP
LDAP for Global Catalog TCP
LDAP-SSL
NETBIOS LS
NETBIOS NS
NETBIOS SSN
NETBIOS-DGM
NTP
Secure LDAP

No success. It only seems to work when I open all ports, which I do not want. I would really appreciate some help with this.

Are the ports different between server-os's than on clients? Is it even possible to join to a domain between 2 interfaces/subnets? I do this just for educational purposes, so please forgive me if i'm asking some basic networking questions over here ;)

This thread was automatically locked due to age.