This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

CPU recommendations - more Cores or more GHz

Hi,

we have a 10Gb internet connection and recently we debugged some performance topics and ended up by the question: What will increase our throughput better: more cores or more GHz.

We saw that with IPS our troughput is dropping very much while one snort process is running at 100% cpu.

With IPS enabled: +- 75 MB/s, IPS disabled: 450MB/s. MB not mbit.

Currently we have a dual CPU 8-Core X3460@2.80GHz while the average CPU usage is low in the reporting graphs.

As the hardware is quit old, we plan to upgrade to new servers and try to check for new cpus. May be a single CPU E5-1650 6-Core@3,6 GHz would be a good choice?!

We don't have that much concurrent connection, but need fast ones :)

Thanks for feedback and suggestions. Regards . Götz

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Look for my LOOOOON post about snort...i have thoroughly researched this.  

you need more ghz for snort and more cores for everything else.  How do you balance the two?  at the higher end you get more cores only...so what you then need is enough users to load up each instance of snort in able to reach line speed.  How many users are you talking about, what is your lan/wan speeds?

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Hi and thx,

we hava a 10Gbit Internet and lan connection; about 500 Users. We got most time "normal" web surfing traffic, email etc ... the usual load and no complains. But from time to time users transfer a lot and large files and thats when we want the connection to be fast. There is no dedicated destination like an other university for which you may be can configure a special rule.

So I guess the overall better performance will be, new CPUs which are faster in any way, more GHz and some Cores. May be we end up with a dual CPU system again.

Regards.

• Dual core will not be enough for your userbase.  You are going to need the fastest 8 cores of intel cpu you can get.  Also i would have no less than 32 gigs of ram to boot.  

So something like dual E3-1585V5.  That would give you 8 cores @ 3.5 ghz.  With enough concurrent users you could get close to 10 gigabits depending on what they were doing.  

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Hi Wiliam, you got me wrong regarding the cores. I talkend about dual CPU and n*Cores as well :) 

I'll check on the options regarding cores/multi-cpu.

One more thought regarding the number oc cores: Dose it matter much where the cores "come" from? E.G. if i have a single cpu system with 6 cores and HT that makes 12 Cores in total. Would the UTM benefit and use  them like they where e.g. 2* CPU 4 Core = 8 physical cores?

Thx. /G

• Hi Wiliam, you got me wrong regarding the cores. I talkend about dual CPU and n*Cores as well :) 

I'll check on the options regarding cores/multi-cpu.

One more thought regarding the number oc cores: Dose it matter much where the cores "come" from? E.G. if i have a single cpu system with 6 cores and HT that makes 12 Cores in total. Would the UTM benefit and use  them like they where e.g. 2* CPU 4 Core = 8 physical cores?

Thx. /G

Children
No Data