This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

WAN connection stops working/routing but interface still UP/UP. Have to disable and re-enable to allow traffic again

Firstly my UTM is up to date. Whether that is a good or a bad thing is uncertain :)

I have a cable modem in bridge mode with three connections to it. Each connection gets a public IP address from my ISP. One of these is the WAN connection on the UTM ( default GW 192.168.0.1). The other two go to my work VPN router and a wifi access point (using WAN port but no dhcp enabled). The Wireless AP is on the same subnet with an IP of 192.168.0.253

Very often the UTM will stop routing traffic to the internet for what appears to be no reason. The WAN interface says everything is ok and has an UP/UP status but if I try to ping 8.8.8.8 for example I just get a time out. If I change my gateway from the UTM (192.168.0.1) to the wifi router (192.168.0.253) on my PC my internet is restored telling me the cable modem connection is fine. Also, my work VPN router does not lose connection. So the issue appears to be only with the UTM. I changed the cable and even the NIC in case it was a physical issue but the issue remains. I wouldnt mind so much if it at least detected the issue because then it could just reset itself but it doesnt so I have to logon and disable/enable the WAN interface and internet is restored immediately.

Im curious if anyone else has experienced this and/or knows a solution?

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Can someone tell me what log file I should be looking at for details of the WAN connection status and if possible, some troubleshooting tips? Thanks

• HI Brimur,

Could you provide us more information on your Network topology(Rough Network diagram would be ok) with address for system and Routers. 

Are you using VM or Using Hardware appliance itself. 

Thanks and regards

Aditya Patel 

Regards,

Aditya Patel
    Global Escalation Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• I am using Sophos UTM Home in a VM on ESXi 6 Update 2

When the internet becomes inaccessible from 192.168.0.40 via 192.168.0.1 (UTM) I change the gateway to 192.168.0.253 (Wireless AP) and I can see the connection is still up

• Hi, 

What is the firmware version on your UTM?

Check the link here, any help with that?

Thanks

Sachin Gurung
    Team Lead | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• I am using firmware version: Firmware version: 9.407-3

This firmware gives an option to ignore the MTU offered by DHCP and I have enabled that option already (mtu_auto_discovery=0 ) so that I can set my MTU to 1500 on the WAN connection manually. I have done this since the above firmware came out.

• Any other suggestions? Thanks

B

• Hi, 

Please post kernel.log and fallback.log for the timestamp when the disconnection occurs. Also, does the disconnection occurs with a single ISP line or to all the connections? Does the ISP that disconnects has a inline modem/router connected to UTM?

Thanks

Sachin Gurung
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi,

Please see my original description of the issue. The connection only goes down on the UTM. The two other devices using the same cable modem do not lose their connection. Please post instructions on how to get the kernel.log and fallback.log from the system and if they can be exported from the web interface? Thanks

B

• Hi,

Go to 

Sachin Gurung

• I have the same problem on a client.

The traffic simply stops. There are no errors in the logs. All other interfaces are working, only the WAN interface presents the problem.

I provisionally created a script that monitors the gateway, and if it does not respond, it deactivates the interface and activates again. Traffic returns to normal.

I created another script that starts tcpdump and saves it to a file 50seconds of WAN interface traffic. In it I can see that the connections coming through the wan interface, I see the traffic going to the LAN, I see it returning, but I do not see it coming out through the WAN interface.

I reinstalled sophos and it continues with the same problem.

I'm waiting for some solution to the problem.